TribLIVE

| Sports


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Athletics to call Coliseum home until 2025

Pirates/MLB Videos

By The Associated Press
Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 9:18 p.m.
 

OAKLAND, Calif. — Oakland Athletics owner Lew Wolff said Wednesday that the club has reached a 10-year lease agreement with the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority to stay at the Oakland Coliseum.

The deal that will run through 2025 is subject to approval by the Coliseum Joint Powers Authority, which is scheduled to vote on the extension Friday. The City of Oakland and Alameda County Board of Supervisors also will have to approve the deal.

Commissioner Bud Selig commended both sides for reaching a deal on a lease extension, while offering, “I continue to believe that the Athletics need a new facility and am fully supportive of the club's view that the best site in Oakland is the Coliseum site.”

The two-time defending AL West champion Athletics are still hoping for a new stadium, but Wolff said a proposed site near Oakland's popular Jack London Square neighborhood has proved not to be a feasible option.

The run-down Coliseum has had multiple sewage problems in the past year and an outage affecting the outfield lights against the New York Yankees on June 14.

Machado awaits verdict on suspension

Orioles third baseman Manny Machado, his agent and Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette spoke with an MLB official for about an hour, and Machado pleaded his case for a reduction of his five-game suspension for intentionally throwing his bat on the field against the Athletics on June 8.

“We got it done. Now it's just sit back and wait and see what is going to happen,” Machado said.

No verdict was announced.

Pagan headed to DL

Giants leadoff hitter and center fielder Angel Pagan was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a lower back strain. Pagan had not played in the past eight games. The move is retroactive to June 15. Pagan will be eligible to come off the DL on Monday.

Astros' top prospect done for season

Astros top prospect Carlos Correa will be out for the rest of the season after undergoing surgery to repair a fracture of his fibula just above his right ankle, general manager Jeff Luhnow said. The 19-year-old shortstop sustained the injury Saturday while sliding into third base on an RBI triple while playing for Single-A Lancaster.

Red Sox designate Capuano

Chis Capuano was designated for assignment by the Red Sox to clear a spot on the 25-man roster for Clay Buchholz, who started Wednesday against the Mariners. Buchholz had been out since May 26 with a hyperextended left knee.

Two minor leaguers suspended

White Sox outfielder Adam Heisler tested positive for an amphetamine, and Athletics third baseman Tyler Ladendorf had a second positive test. Both players were suspended 50 games.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read MLB

  1. Royals take 2-1 lead in World Series after 3-2 victory over Giants
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.