MLB notebook: Red Sox recall top prospect
The Red Sox promoted highly touted prospect Mookie Betts from the minors and sent right-hander Rubby De La Rosa to Triple-A Pawtucket.
The 21-year-old Betts joined the Red Sox for his first stint in the majors. Manager John Farrell says he intends to start the rookie outfielder Sunday night in New York.
Betts was hitting a combined .345 at Triple-A and Double-A this season with eight home runs and 29 steals. He scored 70 runs and had 48 RBIs in 77 games, and had been picked to play in the All-Star Futures Game next month in Minnesota.
The 25-year-old De La Rosa went 2-2 with a 2.51 ERA in five starts for the Red Sox.
Around the league
Rangers left-hander Derek Holland, sidelined following micro-fracture knee surgery in January, completed a simulated game early Saturday, but isn't scheduled to be sent out for a rehab pitching assignment. Rangers manager Ron Washington said Holland did what he was asked to do during the 67-pitch session, which was designed primarily to test his Holland's ability to field his position. ... Right fielder Josh Reddick left the Athletics' game at Miami with a strained right knee, and his status is day-to-day. ... The Nationals recalled starting pitcher Blake Treinen and reliever Xavier Cedeno from Triple-A Syracuse. ... The Royals signed first-round draft pick Brandon Finnegan, a left-hander who helped lead TCU to the College World Series.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Military academy members hone hacking skills at competition
- NHL notebook: Family says ex-Hawk Mikita has dementia
- Homework: Pittsburgh Home Show to feature celebs, wine and pets
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- Acting helped ‘Justified’s’ Dillahunt overcome tragedy
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- Monessen woman dies in truck-car crash on Route 51 in Fayette County
- McCord to plead guilty to federal charges from campaign fundraising
- Designs by Frank Lloyd Wright nominated for World Heritage inclusion
- Pirates sign 2 to minor league deals
- Week before sentencing, Ferrante seeks acquittal or new trial