MLB notebook: Former Mets GM Cashen dies at 88
Frank Cashen, the general manager who wore a signature bow tie and fashioned a Mets team that rollicked its way to the 1986 World Series championship, died Monday. The team said he was 88.
He died at Memorial Hospital in Easton, Md., after a short illness, the Mets said.
Cashen was a longtime sports writer in his Baltimore hometown and went to law school before joining the Orioles and eventually becoming their GM.
The Orioles won two titles while Cashen worked for them, but it was in New York where he put his stamp on a franchise with the likes of Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden.
In recent years, Cashen spent his time in Easton and in Port St. Lucie, Fla., where the Mets hold spring training. He was in camp with the Mets this year.
“One of the great baseball people,” Mets manager Terry Collins said Monday.
Orioles' Machado gets 5-game ban
Orioles third baseman Manny Machado began serving a five-game suspension, nearly three weeks after MLB initially levied the sentence and five days after his appeal hearing.
Machado was suspended and fined on June 10 for intentionally throwing his bat on the field during an at-bat in Baltimore's game against Oakland on June 8. Machado immediately appealed the suspension, and spoke for about an hour Wednesday in an appeal hearing in Baltimore with MLB official Joe Garagiola Jr.
The initial decision was upheld, meaning Machado will miss the Orioles' four-game series against visiting Texas that began Monday, along with Friday night's game in Boston.
Nats reinstate OF Harper from DL
The Nationals reinstated Bryce Harper from the 15-day disabled list after the star outfielder missed 59 games because of a torn ligament in his left thumb.
The team made the move before Monday night's game against Colorado. It was Bryce Harper bobblehead night at Nationals Park.
To make room for Harper, the Nationals optioned left-handed reliever Xavier Cedeno to Triple-A Syracuse.
The 21-year-old Harper was hitting .289 with one home run and nine RBIs in 22 games before getting hurt. He played five rehabilitation games in the minors and hit .643, including three homers in a Double-A game over the weekend.
Cedeno pitched in one game during his third stint in the majors this season. He threw a scoreless inning on Saturday against the Chicago Cubs.
Signed ticket from Gehrig retirement hits auction
A ticket stub signed by Lou Gehrig on July 4, 1939 — the day he retired from baseball — is going on the auction block.
Heritage Auctions in New York says more than 60,000 tickets to the game at Yankee Stadium were sold. Only two are known to have survived.
Of the two, only the mezzanine box ticket was signed by Gehrig. It's estimated to bring over $100,000 at the Aug. 1 sale in Cleveland.
The owner is an unidentified collector.
Gehrig retired after being diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, now known as Lou Gehrig's disease. In his farewell speech that day, he said, “I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.”
Heritage's director of sports memorabilia, Chris Ivy, calls it “the most significant baseball ticket in the world.”
Royals sign 42-year-old Ibanez
The Royals signed 42-year-old outfielder Raul Ibanez, nine days after he was released by the Angels.
Ibanez batted just .157 in 57 games for the Angels, but 10 of his 26 hits were for extra bases. He spent three seasons with the Royals, starting in 2001. This is his fifth team Since 2011. Ibanez hit 29 home runs just last year for Seattle.
Astros hacked for trade info
The Astros said they were the victims of hackers who accessed their servers and published months of internal trade talks on the Internet.
General manager Jeff Luhnow said “it was an illegal activity and we're going to pursue it and try and find out who did it and prosecute.”
He said they learned of the breach about a month ago. The team responded after the website Deadspin.com published a story about the breach.
Among the items involved talks with Miami to trade 2012 top overall pick Carlos Correa and rookie George Springer for Marlins star slugger Giancarlo Stanton.
Former Dodgers pitcher Castillo dies at 59
Bobby Castillo, a former Dodgers and Twins pitcher credited with teaching Fernando Valenzuela how to throw a screwball, died in a Los Angeles hospital after a battle with cancer, the team announced. He was 59.
Castillo, also affectionately known as “Babo,” pitched for the Dodgers from 1977-81, including in the 1981 National League Championship Series and the 1981 World Series, and in 1985, his last season in the majors. The right-hander was with the Twins from 1982 to 1984.
Valenzuela called Castillo a great teammate and friend in a statement released through the Dodgers, adding: “I'll always be grateful for his influence on my pitching.”
Castillo made his major league debut for the Dodgers on Sept. 19, 1977, retiring Hall of Famer Johnny Bench for his first big league out.
Around the league
The Rockies' beleaguered starting rotation took another blow as right-hander Jhoulys Chacin was placed on the 15-day disabled list with an inflamed shoulder. … Former major league pitcher Joel Pineiro was suspended 50 games after testing positive for a banned stimulant. … The Twins reinstated third baseman Trevor Plouffe and utilityman Eduardo Nunez from the disabled list.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.