MLB notebook: Twins' Mauer placed on 15-day disabled list
Just when Joe Mauer restored his smooth swing, it brought more trouble by triggering his latest injury.
This frustrating season for the Twins' catcher-turned-first baseman worsened Wednesday, when Mauer woke up with more discomfort than he had the night before from a strained muscle on his right side and was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
“It's been a very trying year for me personally,” Mauer said. “I get things going and something happens, but that's baseball. ... This is another thing that I've got to work through, and hopefully it doesn't take too long and I get back out there soon.”
Mauer was hurt swinging on his two-run double in the fourth inning Tuesday that stretched his hitting streak to 12 games. He batted .320, with 13 RBIs over the past 19 games.
But prior to his recent surge, the six-time All-Star and three-time American League batting title holder had been in his worst slump ever, his average dipping as low as .254 a couple of times last month.
• According to ESPN, a new book excerpted in Sports Illustrated reveals suspended Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was given an exemption by Major League Baseball to use testosterone prior to his 2007 MVP season to treat a medical condition.
• Padres outfielder Seth Smith, 31, signed a $13 million contract extension through 2016. Smith is batting .281 with nine homers and 25 RBIs this season.
• The Rockies acquired right-hander Jair Jurrjens from the Reds in exchange for minor league first baseman Harold Riggins. Jurrjens has a 53-37 record with a 3.63 ERA in seven major league seasons.
• A Los Angeles jury was deadlocked over whether the Dodgers organization was responsible for the devastating injuries suffered by a Giants fan Bryan Stow, who was beaten during the 2011 home opener at Dodgers Stadium. A judge in the case ordered the jury to return for further deliberations.
• Jim Sundberg, 63, is retiring from the Rangers' front office at the end of the season, 40 years after his big-league career began as a catcher with the club.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Padres’ Maybin suspended 25 games
- MLB notebook: Braves part ways with struggling Uggla
- MLB notebook: Yankees acquire Headley from Padres