MLB notebook: Umpire Darling retires after 28 seasons
• The Cubs traded starting pitchers Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel to the Athletics, according to multiple reports late Friday. Heading back to the Cubs are pitcher Dan Straily as well as shortstop Addison Russell, the No. 1 prospect in the A's system. The Cubs also will receive outfielder Billy McKinney, Oakland's first-round pick last year, and a player to be named.
• Umpire Gary Darling decided to retire after a 28-year major league career that included two World Series. The 56-year-old Darling has been on the disabled list for the entire season. He officially joined the National League staff in 1988 and became a crew chief before the 2004 season. Darling was a part of the World Series in 2003 and '10. He also worked All-Star games in 1993 and 2003.
• The Yankees no longer are expecting CC Sabathia to return to their rotation this year, given the persistence of inflammation in his injured right knee. Asked Friday whether he believed Sabathia's season was over, manager Joe Girardi said: “I think that's about fair to say.”
• Former closer Neftali Feliz was recalled by the struggling Rangers from Triple-A Round Rock, adding a fresh arm to their taxed bullpen for an interleague series against the Mets. Texas also optioned right-hander Ben Rowen to Round Rock and placed left-hander Joe Saunders on waivers for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release.
• Unable to fully test his sore left shoulder on a wet field, David Wright remained out of the Mets' lineup for a seventh straight game.
• The Mariners activated designated hitter Corey Hart and first baseman Justin Smoak from the 15-day disabled list. Hart was in the starting lineup at Chicago, but Smoak was sent down to Triple-A Tacoma.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Plum grad McGough realizes dream, unfazed by demotion to minors
- MLB notebook: Foul ball strikes woman after Manfred address fan safety issue
- MLB notebook: Phillies bench coach Bowa awaits punishment after lashing out at Mets
- After legal win, ex-Pirates star Bonds unapologetic, leaves others to judge career
- MLB notebook: Wright slated to return from DL, start for Mets
- MLB notebook: Knee injury puts Yanks’ Sabathia on 15-day DL