MLB notebook: Umpire Darling retires after 28 seasons
• The Cubs traded starting pitchers Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel to the Athletics, according to multiple reports late Friday. Heading back to the Cubs are pitcher Dan Straily as well as shortstop Addison Russell, the No. 1 prospect in the A's system. The Cubs also will receive outfielder Billy McKinney, Oakland's first-round pick last year, and a player to be named.
• Umpire Gary Darling decided to retire after a 28-year major league career that included two World Series. The 56-year-old Darling has been on the disabled list for the entire season. He officially joined the National League staff in 1988 and became a crew chief before the 2004 season. Darling was a part of the World Series in 2003 and '10. He also worked All-Star games in 1993 and 2003.
• The Yankees no longer are expecting CC Sabathia to return to their rotation this year, given the persistence of inflammation in his injured right knee. Asked Friday whether he believed Sabathia's season was over, manager Joe Girardi said: “I think that's about fair to say.”
• Former closer Neftali Feliz was recalled by the struggling Rangers from Triple-A Round Rock, adding a fresh arm to their taxed bullpen for an interleague series against the Mets. Texas also optioned right-hander Ben Rowen to Round Rock and placed left-hander Joe Saunders on waivers for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release.
• Unable to fully test his sore left shoulder on a wet field, David Wright remained out of the Mets' lineup for a seventh straight game.
• The Mariners activated designated hitter Corey Hart and first baseman Justin Smoak from the 15-day disabled list. Hart was in the starting lineup at Chicago, but Smoak was sent down to Triple-A Tacoma.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt blows 10-point lead as Iowa rallies for win
- Bayer to spin off plastics unit as separate company; employment to remain stable
- Steelers notebook: Ravens DL fined for hit on Roethlisberger
- Seneca Valley’s Lang embracing senior soccer season
- Finally healthy, Letang looking to make his presence felt as a leader
- Inside the glass: Johnston’s opening practice grueling
- Armed officers comb woods for state trooper ambush suspect
- Pittsburgh region’s covered bridges perfect for scenic fall drives
- Harhai campaign emails from 2007 under review, Westmoreland County DA says
- Butler 911 activates stand-by plan after problems develop with radio transmission system
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers