MLB notebook: Cardinals claim veteran catcher off waivers
• The Cardinals claimed veteran George Kottaras off waivers from the Indians on Friday, bolstering their catching position after the injury to Yadier Molina. Starting pitcher Joe Kelly also was activated by the Cardinals. He started Friday's game against the Brewers.
• The Reds' Skip Schumaker and Ramon Santiago will share time at second base while Brandon Phillips mends from surgery for a torn ligament in his left thumb. Phillips is expected to miss at least six weeks. Cincinnati also called up right-handed relievers Carlos Contreras and Curtis Partch.
• Arizona catcher Miguel Montero will replace the Cardinals' Molina on the National League All-Star roster, manager Mike Matheny said. In addition, Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy will replace the fan-elected Molina as the National League's starting backstop.
• Rockies owner Dick Monfort apologized for a series of email responses to fans unhappy with the bad baseball they've been witnessing. He suggested they not come out to Coors Field if they're that mad and suggested Denver might not deserve a team. In his apology, he said he has no intention of moving the team.
• Shortstop Yunel Escobar came off the disabled list for the Rays. Escobar missed 15 games. Also, outfielder Wil Myers had a cast removed from his right wrist. Infielder Jerry Sands will undergo season-ending surgery on a strained left wrist tendon.
• Blue Jays first baseman Adam Lind was placed on the 15-day DL with a broken right foot.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Braves honor fan who died from fall
- MLB notebook: Cubs acquire CF Jackson from Mariners
- MLB notebook: Mets add bullpen depth, get Reed from Diamondbacks
- MLB notebook: Tigers fire GM Dombrowski
- After legal win, ex-Pirates star Bonds unapologetic, leaves others to judge career
- MLB notebook: Fan dies after fall at Atlanta’s Turner Field