MLB notebook: Brewers' shortstop's infant child dies
Brewers shortstop Jean Segura is heading home to the Dominican Republic after the death of his 9-month old son.
The 24-year-old Segura learned his son, Janniel, had died after the Brewers' 7-6 loss to the Cardinals on Friday night.
Segura's mother, who attended the game, told several Brewers' wives.
Ron Roenicke closed the Milwaukee clubhouse to reporters after the game Friday. He kept the clubhouse closed before Saturday's game.
“I didn't know what to say to him other than giving him a hug and telling him we're there for him,” Roenicke said. “He had a tough time.”
Roenicke said that the child had been sick.
Alvarez gets All-Star spot
Miami right-hander Henderson Alvarez will replace Washington's Jordan Zimmermann on the National League's roster for Tuesday's All-Star Game.
Zimmermann left Friday night's start against Philadelphia after 3 1⁄3 innings because of a right biceps injury.
Callaspo placed on DL
The Athletics placed infielder Alberto Callaspo on the 15-day disabled list because of a right hamstring strain.
The A's recalled infielder Andy Parrino from Triple-A Sacramento to fill in for Callaspo. Callaspo grabbed his leg and pulled up limping just before crossing first base during the second inning of Oakland's loss at Seattle on Friday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Web-savvy terrorists have success luring U.S. recruits with social media
- North Side toymaker Digital Dream Labs starts strong in 1st holiday season
- Stylish, inexpensive dress takes television newsrooms by storm
- Mt. Pleasant Area School Board puts limit on taxes for 2016-17
- Pitt’s surge goes for naught as No. 11 Purdue prevails
- Pirates showing interest in starting pitcher Masterson
- Perryopolis, Perry Township communities talk ambulance woes
- Automakers feast on deals in November
- Express Scripts to offer alternative to $750 toxoplasmosis medication
- Overseas data, financial shares lead stocks to strong December start
- Roundup: Senators express ‘serious concerns’ about EDMC settlement; more