MLB notebook: Cardinals' Wainwright regrets comments
• Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright said he never should have said that he threw a couple of “pipe shots” to Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter because “pipe shots” was translated, understandably to pitches down the pipe, which meant gimmes. The NL All-Star starting pitcher said in his own defense afterward, “I'm a knucklehead.” And, “I'm an idiot.” As he pointed out, he has misspoken before, And he'll misspeak again. “Usually I like to think before speaking,” he said. “I'm an idiot. And I made a mistake.” Jeter, who is retiring at the end of the season, doubled in the first inning off Wainwright.
• Braves catcher Evan Gattis will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Gwinnett on Thursday night. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez expects Gattis will need at least three games before returning to Atlanta's lineup for the first time since June 27. He is battling a bulging thoracic disc in his back.
• The Phillies announced that catcher Carlos Ruiz will begin a rehab assignment Thursday with Class A Advanced Clearwater. Ruiz has been on the disabled list since June 27 with a concussion. He could rejoin the Phillies' lineup next week.
• The Royals got some relief help, acquiring veteran reliever Jason Frasor from the Rangers for Triple-A right-hander Spencer Patton.
• Former White Sox and Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said he would like another chance to manage the White Sox. Guillen, third on the team's all-time list for wins as a manager, led the franchise to a World Series title in 2005.
• Long-time big leaguer Luke Scott, 36, was released by his team in Korea for being “disrespectful” toward a coach, according to a report. He reportedly called the coach a “coward” and a “liar.” He was on a one-year deal with the SK Wyverns worth $300,000.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn State women’s soccer team tops WVU, advances to College Cup
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Pitt makes key defensive plays to hold off Kent State, 85-76
- Penguins’ Johnston agrees with Dubinsky suspension
- Outlook for statewide deer season better than 2014
- IUP can’t hold 10-point lead, loses D-II playoff game to Shepherd
- Woman dies after bleeding on sidewalk outside Carrick pizzeria
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- NHL notebook: Canadiens’ Price reportedly will be sidelined 1 month with knee injury
- Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in Turkey
- Penn State’s men’s basketball team’s late rally foils Bucknell