MLB notebook: Cardinals' Wainwright regrets comments
• Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright said he never should have said that he threw a couple of “pipe shots” to Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter because “pipe shots” was translated, understandably to pitches down the pipe, which meant gimmes. The NL All-Star starting pitcher said in his own defense afterward, “I'm a knucklehead.” And, “I'm an idiot.” As he pointed out, he has misspoken before, And he'll misspeak again. “Usually I like to think before speaking,” he said. “I'm an idiot. And I made a mistake.” Jeter, who is retiring at the end of the season, doubled in the first inning off Wainwright.
• Braves catcher Evan Gattis will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Gwinnett on Thursday night. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez expects Gattis will need at least three games before returning to Atlanta's lineup for the first time since June 27. He is battling a bulging thoracic disc in his back.
• The Phillies announced that catcher Carlos Ruiz will begin a rehab assignment Thursday with Class A Advanced Clearwater. Ruiz has been on the disabled list since June 27 with a concussion. He could rejoin the Phillies' lineup next week.
• The Royals got some relief help, acquiring veteran reliever Jason Frasor from the Rangers for Triple-A right-hander Spencer Patton.
• Former White Sox and Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said he would like another chance to manage the White Sox. Guillen, third on the team's all-time list for wins as a manager, led the franchise to a World Series title in 2005.
• Long-time big leaguer Luke Scott, 36, was released by his team in Korea for being “disrespectful” toward a coach, according to a report. He reportedly called the coach a “coward” and a “liar.” He was on a one-year deal with the SK Wyverns worth $300,000.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh police doubling up on duty after potential threats
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Steelers offense learning to slam door
- Steelers clinch trip to postseason with big victory over Chiefs
- Steelers defensive game changer: Fourth-down stop thwarts Chiefs
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Connellsville Polar Bear Club ready for New Year’s
- Greater Connellsville chamber seeks nominations
- Old-school booksellers learn to survive, thrive in digital age
- Georgia prosecutor Yates tapped for No. 2 post in Justice Department
- Allegheny County district attorney prosecutors move on to state office