MLB notebook: Segura returns to Brewers after son's death
• Jean Segura rejoined the Brewers for the start of a series against the Nationals after returning home following the death of his infant son. Segura had gone to the Dominican Republic after his 9-month-old son, Janniel, died. Manager Ron Roenicke said he had not expected the shortstop to return so soon. Segura is batting .232 with four homers, 23 RBIs and 15 stolen bases. The Brewers placed infield Jeff Bianchi on the 15-day disabled list with a right elbow strain, which clears a roster space for Segura.
• FoxSports.com reported Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp would be open to a trade if it meant he again would be an everyday center fielder. Former major league pitcher Dave Stewart, who is Kemp's agent, said Kemp is amenable to any scenario as long as he gets to return to a regular center field role. Kemp, who has played left field since Carl Crawford was injured May 28, is batting .269 with eight homers and 35 RBIs.
• ESPN reported the White Sox signed Chien-Ming Wang, 34, and assigned him to their Triple-A affiliate in Charlotte. Wang won 19 games for the Yankees in both 2006 and ‘07. He was 8-5 with a 3.70 ERA for the Reds' Triple-A affiliate in Louisville this season.
• The Blue Jays claimed Brad Mills off waivers from the Athletics, bringing the left-handed pitcher back to the team that drafted him. The 29-year-old Mills started three games for Oakland this season, going 1-1 with a 4.41 ERA.
• The Rangers recalled Opening Day catcher J.P. Arencibia from Triple-A Round Rock and may use him at first base. As expected, Texas activated catcher Geovany Soto from the 60-day disabled list. The team also brought back Arencibia and designated first baseman Carlos Pena for assignment. Pena hit .136 and two RBIs in 18 games for Texas.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Troublesome wrist sidelines Nationals outfielder Werth
- MLB notebook: Giants designate veteran McGehee for assignment
- MLB notebook: Orioles reliever Matusz suspended for 8 games, appeals
- MLB notebook: Phillies GM Amaro apologizes to fans for remarks
- MLB notebook: Cardinals lose Adams 3-4 months with quad injury