MLB notebook: Braves part ways with struggling Uggla
• The Braves requested unconditional release waivers for struggling second baseman Dan Uggla, parting ways with a former starter still owed over $18 million over the remainder of this year and next. In his fourth season with the Braves, the 34-year-old Uggla was batting .162 with two home runs and 10 RBIs in 48 games and 130 at-bats. Uggla lost his job to Tommy La Stella when the rookie second baseman was called up May 28. The Braves' patience with Uggla appeared to wear thin last Sunday when he was suspended one game for reporting just 30 minutes before the start of a game in Chicago. Uggla, a three-time NL All-Star, hit .179 with 22 homers and 55 RBIs last year.
• Any hopes the Yankees had of CC Sabathia returning to their ravaged rotation this year are over. General manager Brian Cashman said Sabathia will have season-ending surgery on his right knee Wednesday. Cashman says indications are the left-hander will be ready for spring training next year, but there are no guarantees.
• The Astros didn't sign the first pick in this year's draft, failing to reach an agreement with high school pitcher Brady Aiken before Friday's deadline. The left-handed UCLA recruit has a fastball that hits 96-97 mph.
• Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti is expected to miss their weekend series in Miami after experiencing a case of vertigo that prompted the team's plane to make an unscheduled landing in Las Vegas so he could receive medical treatment. Righetti remained in Las Vegas but was expected to be fine, a Giants official said.
• The Indians recalled right-hander Chen-Chang Lee from Triple A-Columbus, bolstering their bullpen going into a series against the AL Central-leading Tigers.
•Former NBA All-Star Tracy McGrady retired from baseball after playing in an All-Star game for the independent Sugar Land Skeeters, according to multiple reports. McGrady threw 11⁄3 innings in the Atlantic League All-Star Game, recording a strikeout against his final batter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bumgarner stars in Game 7 as Giants win World Series
- NFL notebook: Dolphins RB Moreno out for season