MLB notebook: Rockies place Morneau on 15-day DL
The Rockies placed first baseman Justin Morneau on the 15-day disabled list with a strained neck.
The move is retroactive to July 14.
To take his place on the roster, the team selected the contract of infielder Ben Paulsen from Triple-A Colorado Springs. They also designated right-hander Jair Jurrjens for assignment.
The 26-year-old Paulsen made his major league debut at first base Monday against the Nationals.
Morneau is hitting .312 with 13 homers and 60 RBIs. He also took part in the Home Run Derby at the All-Star game.
Shortstop Troy Tulowitzki was out of the starting lineup Monday for a second straight game with a tender left thigh.
Bad back latest Teixeira injury
Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira is going to be sidelined for at least three to four games because of a strained muscle in his back.
Teixeira said he has been hampered by a left lower lat injury that was causing spasms in his back for about a month.
The pain escalated during New York's weekend sweep of the Reds after the All-Star break.
An MRI administered Sunday showed a mild strain of the muscle.
Teixeira was scheduled to have a platelet-rich plasma injection Monday and most likely will sit out the entire four-game series against Texas.
Hall of Fame concert canceled
The National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., said next month's gala concert featuring the Boston Pops and Paul Simon has been canceled. No reason was given.
The Aug. 2 event was to have been part of the museum's 75th anniversary celebration.
The Hall of Fame said LGH19 Productions has asked ticket holders seeking information should go to cooperstownconcert.com. Hall spokesman Brad Horn referred questions to LGH19 Productions.
Attempts to reach the promoter were unsuccessful.
Around the league
Dan Uggla signed a minor league contract with the Giants and will report to the Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies after taking a physical. Uggla, 34, was hitting .162 with two homers when he was released by the Braves last week. He has seven 20-homer seasons in the big leagues, but his numbers have tailed off in recent years. ... The Brewers recalled right-hander Jeremy Jeffress from Triple-A Nashville to give the bullpen a boost. Jeffress joined the team before Monday night's game against the Reds. He was 4-1 with a 1.51 ERA and five saves in the minors. . ... The Giants placed right-hander Matt Cain on the disabled list because of elbow inflammation. ... White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper has vertigo and missed Monday's game against the Royals. ... Eric Hosmer was scratched from the Royals' lineup against the White Sox with a bruised right hand.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No federal funds to help enforce Pa. ban on texting by drivers
- Egypt’s beleaguered tourism industry bounces back
- Youngwood Fire Department to dedicate memorial at station
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Martial arts competitors reconvene for Pennsylvania Karate Championships
- Company seeks to reopen coal mine in Nottingham, Washington County
- Kittanning boys basketball shoots for 4th straight playoff trip in program’s final season
- Kids briefs: Santa Trolley trips begin at Pennsylvania Trolley Museum
- Retailers court web customers with free shipping
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Pryor’s 22 points lead Robert Morris past Louisiana-Monroe