MLB notebook: Giants call up Uggla after brief stint in minors
• The Giants purchased the contract of second baseman Dan Uggla from Triple A-Fresno on Friday and put him in the starting lineup for the opener of a three-game series against the Dodgers. The Giants placed second baseman Marco Scutaro and infielder Ehire Adrianza on the 15-day disabled list. Uggla was released last week by Atlanta after hitting .162 and losing his starting job. San Francisco signed him to a minor league deal Monday. The 34-year-old second baseman has 233 career homers and a .244 average. He had five straight 30-homer seasons for the Marlins and Braves from 2007-11.
• The Mets said pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka is returning to New York to have his right elbow examined. Mets manager Terry Collins said the 33-year-old Matsuzaka felt something in his elbow Thursday. Matsuzaka is 3-3 with a 3.87 ERA in 28 games this season.
• Left-hander Chris Capuano was placed on the Yankees' major league roster, a day after he was acquired from the Rockies. Capuano will start Saturday against Toronto, with Shane Greene pushed back to Sunday. The 35-year-old Capuano was 1-1 with a 4.55 ERA in 28 relief appearances for Boston, which released him July 1. He had four starts at Triple-A and Double-A for the Rockies.
• The Twins plan to bring up left-hander Logan Darnell from Triple-A Rochester to start Saturday against the White Sox in place of ailing Kyle Gibson (lower back stiffness). Gibson is 8-8 with a 4.19 ERA in 19 starts.
• The Athletics acquired minor league right-hander Deck McGuire from the Blue Jays for cash.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in victory at Verizon Center
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Penn Hills man charged in robbery of The Exchange in Ross
- Dixon vows to fix Pitt’s long-distance dilemma
- Latrobe earns return trip to WPIAL Class AAA wrestling semifinals
- Breen’s long passes key to Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic’s fast break
- Woman charged in Jan. 4 homicide outside Brighton Heights tavern
- HS highlight reel: PIAA approves Clairton sanctions
- Ex-Aliquippa, Pitt star Revis finally realizes Super Bowl dream
- Gorman: Big 33 streak one to savor