MLB notebook: New Cardinals starters added to active roster
The Cardinals added newly acquired pitchers John Lackey and Justin Masterson to the active roster.
Masterson (4-6, 5.51) will make his first start Saturday night, and Lackey (11-7, 3.60) is expected to face his old team Tuesday in an interleague series against the Red Sox.
The Cardinals also recalled outfielder Shane Robinson from Triple-A Memphis and optioned right-hander Carlos Martinez to the minors.
• Marlins All-Star pitcher Henderson Alvarez was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday because of inflammation in his right shoulder. The move was retroactive to Wednesday.
• Giants right-hander Matt Cain said he needs surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow. San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy said odds are Cain will not pitch again in 2014.
• Mets right-hander Matt Harvey has thrown off the mound for the first time since having right elbow reconstruction surgery in October. Mets manager Terry Collins said Harvey threw at about 60 percent. General manager Sandy Alderson said the mound session lasted 15 pitches.
• The Phillies placed left-hander Cliff Lee on the 15-day disabled list with an elbow strain and recalled left-hander Cesar Jimenez from Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Lee left in the third inning of Thursday night's win over the Nationals with a left flexor pronator strain.
• The Indians designated right-hander Zach McAllister for assignment and plan to send him to Triple-A Columbus after he clears optional waivers. McAllister, who hasn't won since April 21, is 3-6 with a 5.91 ERA in 14 starts.
• The Angels placed left-hander Tyler Skaggs on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained forearm.
• The Giants designated second baseman Dan Uggla and outfielder Tyler Colvin for assignment after losing five of six on their last homestand.
• Pitching coach Don Cooper is back with the White Sox after missing 11 games because of vertigo.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.