MLB notebook: Rays owner fine with Price trade
Rays owner Stuart Sternberg said he doesn't regret trading former Cy Young Award winner David Price to the Tigers.
Price, 28, can be a free agent after next season and could command a bigger contract than Tampa Bay would be able to give.
“With David it wasn't three, four, five, eight guys, and I think people got that and understood that we're still in it to win it,” Sternberg said. “It really was the classic one-eye-on-the-present, one-eye-on-the-future kind of deal.”
Hanley has MRI on ribs
Los Angeles shortstop Hanley Ramirez had an MRI on his sore right rib cage and missed the Dodgers' game Saturday against the Brewers. Ramirez is batting .277 with 12 home runs and 58 RBIs in 100 games this season.
Parker joins Reds' Hall
Former Pirates outfielder Dave Parker, Ken Griffey Jr. and Ron Oester — all of whom grew up playing baseball in Cincinnati — were honored on the field Saturday before a game against the Marlins. They'll be formally inducted Sunday.
Yankees make moves
The Yankees placed catcher Brian McCann on the seven-day concussion list less than a day after he was hit in the facemask by a foul ball.
Also, the Yankees gave second baseman Brian Roberts his unconditional release. Roberts was hitting .237 with five homers when he was cut Aug. 1.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Marlins’ Cosart denies he bet on baseball
- MLB notebook: Manfred reiterates stance on Yankees’ Rodriguez
- MLB notebook: Red Sox slugger Ortiz defends his reputation, touts drug test record
- MLB notebook: Tigers’ Verlander not worried about arm injury
- MLB notebook: Cubs send highly touted Bryant to minors
- MLB notebook: Cardinals ace Wainwright sharp in tuneup for opening night