MLB notebook: Angels left-hander Skaggs to undergo Tommy John surgery
Angels left-hander Tyler Skaggs will have elbow ligament replacement surgery, likely sidelining him for the entire 2015 season. The Angels announced Skaggs' decision Sunday and transferred him to the 60-day disabled list. Skaggs will have Tommy John surgery Wednesday in Los Angeles. Skaggs, 23, is 5-5 with a 4.30 ERA in 18 starts this season for the Angels.
• The Dodgers placed shortstop Hanley Ramirez on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a strained right rib cage muscle. Ramirez felt tightness in his right side before Friday night's game, the start of a three-game series with Milwaukee. He walked in the first inning before being removed in the bottom half. Ramirez is hitting .277 with 12 homers and 58 RBIs in 100 games for the NL West leaders. Infielder Darwin Barney was called up from Triple-A Albuquerque to take Ramirez's roster spot.
• The Tigers placed right-handers Joakim Soria and Anibal Sanchez on the 15-day disabled list, a blow to the AL Central leaders as they try to hold off Kansas City for the division lead. Sanchez, who is 8-5 with a 3.53 ERA, left Friday's game in the fifth inning with a strained pectoral muscle and returned to Detroit on Saturday to undergo an MRI. He's expected to miss three to four weeks. Soria, who was acquired from Texas on July 24, left Saturday's game while warming up before the 10th inning with a strained muscle in his left side. He's 1-1 with a 10.38 in six games with Detroit.
• The Rockies placed outfielder Carlos Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list with left-knee tendinitis and a sprained right ankle. It is his second trip to the DL this season after inflammation in his left index finger sidelined the slugger for five weeks. Gonzalez is batting .238 with 11 homers and 38 RBIs in only 70 games this season.
• The Indians put outfielder David Murphy and designated hitter-first baseman Nick Swisher on the 15-day disabled list. They recalled outfielder Tyler Holt and infielder-outfielder Zach Walters from Triple-A Columbus.
• The Nationals placed outfielder Steven Souza Jr. on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder bruise and recalled Michael Taylor from Triple-A Syracuse.
• The Cubs added pitcher Jacob Turner to their roster and activated reliever Neil Ramirez from the 15-day disabled list.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Chesney fans flood the North Shore to party
- Butler County’s drug court provides another chance to change
- ‘Target Tokyo’ brings WWII tale back to life
- Review: Ghosts emerge in Vivian Gornick’s memoir ‘The Odd Woman and the City’
- Summer guest becomes perfect Seneca Valley prom date
- Steelers nose tackle McCullers finds performance, fitness go hand in hand
- Laurel Highlands teachers schooled in self-defense
- Former city police chief released from federal prison
- Construction worker dies in Wilkinsburg
- Steelers sign last of eight players drafted in 2015
- Belle Vernon Eagle Scout ready to serve church, country