MLB notebook: Angels left-hander Skaggs to undergo Tommy John surgery
Angels left-hander Tyler Skaggs will have elbow ligament replacement surgery, likely sidelining him for the entire 2015 season. The Angels announced Skaggs' decision Sunday and transferred him to the 60-day disabled list. Skaggs will have Tommy John surgery Wednesday in Los Angeles. Skaggs, 23, is 5-5 with a 4.30 ERA in 18 starts this season for the Angels.
• The Dodgers placed shortstop Hanley Ramirez on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a strained right rib cage muscle. Ramirez felt tightness in his right side before Friday night's game, the start of a three-game series with Milwaukee. He walked in the first inning before being removed in the bottom half. Ramirez is hitting .277 with 12 homers and 58 RBIs in 100 games for the NL West leaders. Infielder Darwin Barney was called up from Triple-A Albuquerque to take Ramirez's roster spot.
• The Tigers placed right-handers Joakim Soria and Anibal Sanchez on the 15-day disabled list, a blow to the AL Central leaders as they try to hold off Kansas City for the division lead. Sanchez, who is 8-5 with a 3.53 ERA, left Friday's game in the fifth inning with a strained pectoral muscle and returned to Detroit on Saturday to undergo an MRI. He's expected to miss three to four weeks. Soria, who was acquired from Texas on July 24, left Saturday's game while warming up before the 10th inning with a strained muscle in his left side. He's 1-1 with a 10.38 in six games with Detroit.
• The Rockies placed outfielder Carlos Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list with left-knee tendinitis and a sprained right ankle. It is his second trip to the DL this season after inflammation in his left index finger sidelined the slugger for five weeks. Gonzalez is batting .238 with 11 homers and 38 RBIs in only 70 games this season.
• The Indians put outfielder David Murphy and designated hitter-first baseman Nick Swisher on the 15-day disabled list. They recalled outfielder Tyler Holt and infielder-outfielder Zach Walters from Triple-A Columbus.
• The Nationals placed outfielder Steven Souza Jr. on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder bruise and recalled Michael Taylor from Triple-A Syracuse.
• The Cubs added pitcher Jacob Turner to their roster and activated reliever Neil Ramirez from the 15-day disabled list.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- MLB notebook: Red Sox place Pedroia on 15-day DL with hamstring injury
- MLB notebook: Royals acquire Cueto from Reds for stretch run
- MLB notebook: Cardinals will bring up top prospect Piscotty
- MLB notebook: Cardinals acquire RP Cishek from Marlins
- MLB notebook: Manfred would consider pushing back trade deadline
- Phillies’ Hamels hurls 1st no-hitter vs. Cubs since 1965