• Todd Helton brought the crowd at Coors Field to its feet again Sunday when the Rockies retired the No. 17 jersey of their longtime first baseman. Helton, a career .316 hitter, retired after last season after a 17-year career, all with the Rockies. He is the first player in the team's 22-year history to have his number retired. As part of the tribute, the Rockies unveiled a plaque bearing Helton's number on the facade of the second-deck railing next to one bearing the initials of Keli S. McGregor, the Rockies' late president, and Jackie Robinson's No. 42, which has been retired by all of major league baseball. “I showed up every day and played as hard as I could,” Helton said.
• Outfielder Michael Cuddyer, sidelined for 2 1⁄2 months by a fractured left shoulder, has been activated by the Rockies. The 35-year-old Cuddyer was playing third base against Arizona on June 5 when he was injured while diving for a grounder. He missed the next 60 games. In 31 games this season, Cuddyer has batted .317 with five homers and 16 RBIs.
• The Cardinals recalled right-hander Carlos Martinez from a short stay at Triple-A Memphis and demoted struggling left-hander Kevin Siegrist, who starred as a rookie for a NL championship team. Manager Mike Matheny said the 22-year-old Martinez will be used in relief. Siegrist, is 1-3 with a 6.11 ERA. He was 3-1 with an 0.45 ERA last season.
• The Yankees activated catcher Brian McCann from the seven-day concussion list and optioned catcher Austin Romine to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. McCann was hurt during a game Aug. 8 against Cleveland.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.