MLB notebook: La Russa denies report Gibson will return as D'backs manager in 2015
• Diamondbacks chief baseball officer Tony La Russa denied a USA Today report that manager Kirk Gibson will return for the 2015 season. Arizona was 53-72 and 16 1⁄2 games behind the first-place Dodgers in the NL West before Tuesday's games.
• The Nationals said former Pirates outfielder Nate McLouth is out for the season because of an injured right shoulder. Manager Matt Williams said McLouth will have surgery Thursday for a torn labrum and is expected to recover in time for spring training.
• The Cardinals put second baseman Mark Ellis on the 15-day disabled list with a left oblique strain.
• Orioles manager Buck Showalter said starter Ubaldo Jimenez is moving to the bullpen. Jimenez, 30, has struggled in his first year with the Orioles. Jimenez is 4-9 with a 4.83 ERA.
• The Indians signed reliever Scott Atchison to a contract for next season. Atchinson, 38, is 6-0 with a 2.95 ERA in 53 appearances.
• A lawyer for Reds pitcher Alfredo Simon said a woman who accused the player in a lawsuit of sexually assaulting her should have to reveal her name publicly. Simon's lawyer made his argument Tuesday in federal court in Washington. The woman has said in a court document that she worries Simon's fans may harass her or hurt her if her name becomes public.
• Byron Buxton's minor league season is probably over. The Twins' top prospect suffered a concussion during a collision with teammate Mike Kvasnicka during his Double-A debut last Wednesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Bad back puts Mets’ Wright back on shelf
- MLB notebook: Brewers reliever Smith suspended 8 games for using foreign substance on arm
- MLB notebook: Dodgers sign Cuban INF to 6-year, $62.5M deal
- MLB notebook: Yankees owner says A-Rod has been ‘great asset’
- MLB notebook: Rose’s role at All-Star Game remains undetermined