MLB notebook: Giants win protest, will get to resume game against Cubs
The Giants won their protest filed with Major League Baseball and will get to resume a rain-shortened game the Cubs thought they had won.
MLB said this is the first successful protest since 1986.
Tuesday night's game at Wrigley Field was called after 41⁄2 innings, and the Cubs, leading 2-0, were declared the winners. The game had been delayed more than 41⁄2 hours because of rain after the grounds crew couldn't put the tarp down quickly enough.
MLB ruled there was a “malfunction of a mechanical field device under control of the home club.” Because of that, it is now a suspended game that will resume at 5:05 p.m. Thursday prior to the regularly scheduled game between the playoff-contending Giants and the Cubs.
• Former major league pitcher Curt Schilling said he's battling mouth cancer and blames 30 years of chewing tobacco use. Schilling discussed details of his cancer on WEEI-FM in Boston on Wednesday. He announced he had cancer in February but had not disclosed what kind.
• Phillies pitcher A.J. Burnett, who considered retiring after the 2013 season, again is pondering calling it quits after this season. When asked after Tuesday's 5-2 loss to Seattle whether he would return to the Phillies in 2015, Burnett said, “Probably not. We'll see.” The veteran right-hander dropped to 0-6 with a 6.41 ERA in seven starts since the All-Star break.
• Indians first baseman Nick Swisher will have surgery on both knees and is done for the season.
• Justin Verlander could rejoin the Tigers' rotation Saturday. The right-hander threw for the second straight day and said it's “strong to quite strong” that he will start one game of a doubleheader Saturday against Minnesota.
• Masahiro Tanaka threw 35 pitches in his second bullpen session as he tries to return to the Yankees this season.
• The Rays activated outfielder Wil Myers from the 60-day disabled list after he missed 70 games with a broken right wrist.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Tigers hire former Pirates GM Littlefield as scout
- NFL notebook: Dolphins RB Moreno out for season
- Giants take Game 3 on 10th-inning throwing error