MLB notebook: Athletics place closer Doolittle on 15-day DL
• Athletics closer Sean Doolittle was placed on the 15-day disabled list by Oakland about an hour before Sunday's game with the Angels with a strained right intercostal. Doolittle, who saved the past two games against the Angels, is 1-3 with 20 saves and a 2.28 ERA in 54 relief appearances.
• Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz left during an 8-6 loss to the Mariners in the sixth inning, limping to the dugout after fouling a ball off his right foot two innings earlier. Ortiz fouled a ball off his foot in the fourth and was down on the ground for a while before continuing his at-bat and striking out.
• Mariners second baseman Robinson Cano left a game against the Red Sox because of dizziness in the bottom of the third inning. Cano walked off the field with manager Lloyd McClendon and was replaced by Brad Miller.
• Miguel Cabrera did not start for the Tigers after he aggravated a sore right ankle in the second game of Saturday's doubleheader.
• Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez was reinstated from the disabled list after being out with an oblique strain on his right side.
• The Rockies placed outfielder Michael Cuddyer on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring. This has been a frustrating season for Cuddyer, who's making his third trip to the DL this season. The 35-year-old has played in 34 games and is hitting .331.
• The Blue Jays optioned right-hander Kyle Drabek to Triple-A Buffalo to clear a roster spot for right-hander Sergio Santos.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- South Butler students push composting as a way to slow food waste
- Miami (Fla.) gets prepared to take on ‘physical’ Pitt team
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Former police officer who was indicted found dead in Massachusetts home
- Pittsburgh nonprofit 412 Food Rescue takes surplus food to needy
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Amazon raises bar for other retailers with same-day delivery
- Western Pa. dairies get creative to ensure eggnog supply
- Holiday shopping season off to early start in Mon Valley
- Western Pa. students bristle at changing menu choices