MLB notebook: Yankees' Tanaka to throw simulated game Thursday
Yankees pitcher Masahiro Tanaka's next hurdle will come in the form of three simulated innings off the mound at Comerica Park on Thursday morning.
If he gets through that session with no issues, the right-hander's return will seem much more plausible.
Manager Joe Girardi said Tanaka is scheduled to throw about 45 pitches in the simulated game, and he could be two sessions away from a big league return.
The team would need Tanaka to build his stamina to the area of 75-90 pitches before deeming him ready.
“You obviously feel better that it's going to happen, but I still talk about the intensity of a major league game compared to a minor league game or a simulated game,” Girardi said. “Those are the hurdles that you have to go through.”
• A watched owned by Hall of Famer Lou Gehrig sold for $340,000 in an online auction. The buyer of the watch, given to Gehrig to commemorate the Yankees' 1928 World Series title, was not identified by SCP Auctions. Both the company and the consignor agreed to make donations to ALS, which fund research aimed at finding a cure for the disease named after Gehrig.
• The Yankees reached a minor league deal with outfielder Chris Young, who played 88 games this season with the crosstown Mets. The 30-year-old hit .205 for the Mets before his release this month.
• The Cubs put outfielders Ryan Sweeney (hamstring) and Justin Ruggiano (ankle) on the 15-day disabled list before the second game of their series against the Reds.
• Dr. James Andrews confirmed the initial diagnosis of Tigers pitcher Anibal Sanchez's right pectoral strain, according to manager Brad Ausmus.
• Former major league baseball player Jose Offerman is appealing a federal court order that he pay $940,000 to a catcher injured during a minor league brawl in 2007. A jury last month awarded the money to former Bridgeport Bluefish catcher Johnathan Nathans, who says he suffered career-ending injuries when Offerman hit him in the head with a bat.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Umpire West suspended 1 game
- MLB notebook: Suspended O’s slugger Davis helps lift overturned pickup on interstate