MLB notebook: Tigers' Verlander skirts issue of nude photos
• Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander spoke to reporters for the first time about leaked nude photos of him and girlfriend Kate Upton that surfaced during Labor Day weekend. “I'm not going to comment on my personal life,” Verlander said in the Tigers' clubhouse before Tuesday's game against the Indians. “I never have, and I never plan on it.” Verlander, Upton and other celebrities allegedly had their photos stolen and posted online. The FBI has launched an investigation.
• Michael Wacha will replace Justin Masterson in the Cardinals' rotation Thursday and make his first start since mid-June. Manager Mike Matheny said Wacha will be limited to around 60 pitches at Milwaukee. He's 5-5 with a 2.79 ERA in 15 starts and has been on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder stress reaction. Masterson, acquired at the trade deadline from Cleveland, was 2-3 with a 7.90 ERA in six starts.
• Brewers outfielder •Carlos Gomez was diagnosed with a sprained left wrist and will be out of the starting lineup for at least one week.
• Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo could be done for the rest of the season because of a strained lower back. Rizzo was hurt Aug. 26 and has been out of the lineup for a week. The 25-year-old Rizzo is hitting .278 with 30 home runs and 71 RBIs.
• Masahiro Tanaka plans to throw a bullpen this week, the next step for the injured Yankees ace as he tries to overcome a recent setback. Manager Joe Girardi said Tanaka threw well Tuesday, and team physician Dr. Christopher Ahmad diagnosed the right-hander with arm fatigue.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Starting DEs not leaving the field
- Uncle Charley’s Sausage expands sales to Maryland, Virginia
- Homeless shelter alleges Allegheny County blocked its federal funding
- 2 sought in afternoon Monongahela armed robbery
- Wilkinsburg minister raided for drugs and guns, charged with 18 felonies
- Fayette County officer pleads guilty to punching man
- Pittsburgh VA finds more Legionella bacteria in O’Hara campus
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Top Sports Pics - Oct. 9. 2015
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Plum superintendent says lack of school tip line was ‘oversight’