Peters native Riske advances to Wimbledon 2nd round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Peters native Alison Riske advanced to the second round of the Wimbledon women's singles draw Tuesday when her opponent, No. 31 seed Romina Oprandi of Switzerland, retired in the third set.
It is Riske's first victory at a Grand Slam event. She led the match, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 3-1, when Oprandi retired.
Riske, 22, is ranked 126th in the world, Oprandi 32nd.
Riske lost in the first round of her previous appearances at Wimbledon in 2010 and '11. She also appeared in the main draw of the Australian Open in 2011 and '12 as well as the 2011 U.S. Open.
Riske faces Urszula Radwanska of Poland, ranked 44th in the world, in the second round.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mt. Lebanon High School to sell its planetarium equipment
- Pitt coach Narduzzi adds N.J. linebacker recruit
- Pitt notebook: Pitino: This year’s Pitt team not as talented as past years
- Linemen commit to PSU, boosting Franklin’s recruiting class
- Storm could drop 4-6 inches of snow on Pittsburgh area
- NFL notebook: Chances dwindle for Browns receiver Gordon after failed drug test
- Energy companies vie for experienced workers with skills in high demand
- One of two Marines killed in chopper crash was from Indiana, Pa.
- Energy-saving tactics pay off in Green Workplace Challenge
- Bloomfield bookstore owner bucks naysayers
- Adding more fuel to racial fire