Peters native Riske advances to Wimbledon 2nd round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Peters native Alison Riske advanced to the second round of the Wimbledon women's singles draw Tuesday when her opponent, No. 31 seed Romina Oprandi of Switzerland, retired in the third set.
It is Riske's first victory at a Grand Slam event. She led the match, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 3-1, when Oprandi retired.
Riske, 22, is ranked 126th in the world, Oprandi 32nd.
Riske lost in the first round of her previous appearances at Wimbledon in 2010 and '11. She also appeared in the main draw of the Australian Open in 2011 and '12 as well as the 2011 U.S. Open.
Riske faces Urszula Radwanska of Poland, ranked 44th in the world, in the second round.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Meteor lights up night sky above eastern U.S.
- Serra boys soccer preps for early-season clash
- Dorfman: Pluses and minuses in America’s 20 largest stocks
- Armstrong bolstering pool of temp workers for Health Center
- Monessen mayor eyes city hall return
- Kittanning’s holiday gifts come early for Ford City group
- Van Voorhis man charged for Monessen cell incident
- Microsoft to pay $2.5B for ‘Minecraft’ maker
- Belle Vernon man facing child sex assault charges
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Allegheny Valley School Board hires Foreman Group to assess repairs at Colfax Upper Elementary