Peters native Riske advances to Wimbledon 2nd round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Peters native Alison Riske advanced to the second round of the Wimbledon women's singles draw Tuesday when her opponent, No. 31 seed Romina Oprandi of Switzerland, retired in the third set.
It is Riske's first victory at a Grand Slam event. She led the match, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 3-1, when Oprandi retired.
Riske, 22, is ranked 126th in the world, Oprandi 32nd.
Riske lost in the first round of her previous appearances at Wimbledon in 2010 and '11. She also appeared in the main draw of the Australian Open in 2011 and '12 as well as the 2011 U.S. Open.
Riske faces Urszula Radwanska of Poland, ranked 44th in the world, in the second round.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Rutherford falling apart, too
- Steelers open daunting season at Patriots, play 5 prime-time games
- Rangers enjoy benefits of strong start
- NFL notebook: Ravens reach agreement on extension with CB Jimmy Smith
- Penguins notebook: Malkin says he’s fine, but scoring touch isn’t
- Visual artists want to scan you at Carnegie Museum of Art event
- Mother, son accused of robbing woman in Greensburg
- Police intercept drug courier returning to Western Pennsylvania with 316 bricks of heroin
- Steelers bring in 2 more cornerbacks for visits
- The Wine Cellar: Return of al fresco dining means it’s time for rosés
- Shooting reported at Webster Avenue bar in Hill District