Peters native Riske advances to Wimbledon 2nd round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Peters native Alison Riske advanced to the second round of the Wimbledon women's singles draw Tuesday when her opponent, No. 31 seed Romina Oprandi of Switzerland, retired in the third set.
It is Riske's first victory at a Grand Slam event. She led the match, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 3-1, when Oprandi retired.
Riske, 22, is ranked 126th in the world, Oprandi 32nd.
Riske lost in the first round of her previous appearances at Wimbledon in 2010 and '11. She also appeared in the main draw of the Australian Open in 2011 and '12 as well as the 2011 U.S. Open.
Riske faces Urszula Radwanska of Poland, ranked 44th in the world, in the second round.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Malkin, Hornqvist return to Penguins lineup vs. Coyotes
- Players respect coach, refuse to blame Johnston
- Rogue Catholics in Society of St. Pius X to reopen West End church
- Eagle egg breaks, parents abandon nest
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin
- Clymer woman dies in 2-vehicle crash in Homer City
- Toole decides to remain at Robert Morris after interviewing with Fordham
- Mon Valley Progress Council looks for business-friendly ideas
- Cal U women win Division II national title with 86-69 win
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office