Peters native Riske advances to Wimbledon 2nd round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Peters native Alison Riske advanced to the second round of the Wimbledon women's singles draw Tuesday when her opponent, No. 31 seed Romina Oprandi of Switzerland, retired in the third set.
It is Riske's first victory at a Grand Slam event. She led the match, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 3-1, when Oprandi retired.
Riske, 22, is ranked 126th in the world, Oprandi 32nd.
Riske lost in the first round of her previous appearances at Wimbledon in 2010 and '11. She also appeared in the main draw of the Australian Open in 2011 and '12 as well as the 2011 U.S. Open.
Riske faces Urszula Radwanska of Poland, ranked 44th in the world, in the second round.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pair of NYC officers killed in ambush shooting
- Allegheny Valley Hospital volunteers give back, get rewards
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes
- ‘The D’oh of Homer’: Professors employ TV’s ‘Simpsons’
- Secret Santa saves the day for York County senior center residents
- Licensing boards increase fees to cover costs that include investigations
- Pitt survives Oakland’s upset bid with 81-77 overtime victory
- Service with a smile: Win at gift-giving with in-home indulgences
- ‘Collector’ exhibit shows another side of famed photographer Michals
- Kurds apply pressure to Islamic State
- Lessons from the Christmas Truce of 1914