Peters native Riske advances to Wimbledon 2nd round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Peters native Alison Riske advanced to the second round of the Wimbledon women's singles draw Tuesday when her opponent, No. 31 seed Romina Oprandi of Switzerland, retired in the third set.
It is Riske's first victory at a Grand Slam event. She led the match, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 3-1, when Oprandi retired.
Riske, 22, is ranked 126th in the world, Oprandi 32nd.
Riske lost in the first round of her previous appearances at Wimbledon in 2010 and '11. She also appeared in the main draw of the Australian Open in 2011 and '12 as well as the 2011 U.S. Open.
Riske faces Urszula Radwanska of Poland, ranked 44th in the world, in the second round.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- Graham rejects GOP Benghazi report as ‘garbage’
- Pitt notebook: Chryst keeps Panthers motivated amid adversity
- Power out for 20 customers after West Deer crash
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- NFL notebook: Vikings coach thinks Peterson will return to team once reinstated
- 2 residents, kitten rescued from Highland Park fire
- Hanna’s Town celebrates ‘Three Centuries of Coffee and Chocolate’
- 100 terrorists killed in Kenya retaliation act
- Penn State notebook: Franklin shrugs off special-teams miscues