Peters native Riske advances to Wimbledon 2nd round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Peters native Alison Riske advanced to the second round of the Wimbledon women's singles draw Tuesday when her opponent, No. 31 seed Romina Oprandi of Switzerland, retired in the third set.
It is Riske's first victory at a Grand Slam event. She led the match, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 3-1, when Oprandi retired.
Riske, 22, is ranked 126th in the world, Oprandi 32nd.
Riske lost in the first round of her previous appearances at Wimbledon in 2010 and '11. She also appeared in the main draw of the Australian Open in 2011 and '12 as well as the 2011 U.S. Open.
Riske faces Urszula Radwanska of Poland, ranked 44th in the world, in the second round.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Geibel goalie saves game during shootout, beats Carlynton
- Demand for hazmat suits due to Ebola outbreak triples firm’s production
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Bortuzzo, if healthy, could provide much-needed physical presence on blue line for Penguins
- Serra Catholic boys soccer team loses WPIAL 1st-round game to Avonworth, 1-0