Peters Township native Riske falls in 3rd round at Wimbledon
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON — Peters native Alison Riske saw her surprising run at Wimbledon come to an end with a 6-2, 6-3 loss to Kaia Kanepi in the third round Saturday.
Riske broke Kanepi and led, 3-1, in the second set, but the 46th-ranked Estonian won the final five games to advance.
Riske, a wild-card entry ranked No. 126 in the world, had defeated 31st-seeded Romina Oprandi of Switzerland and 44th-ranked Urszula Radwanska of Poland to win matches in a Grand Slam main draw for the first time.
Top-ranked Novak Djokovic was nearly flawless, going close to a full match without making an unforced error in dispatching Jeremy Chardy of France, 6-3, 6-2, 6-2.
Djokovic finished with 38 winners and just three unforced errors in a masterful display that cemented his status as the favorite to win a second Wimbledon title.
“Everything went my way,” he said. “This kind of performance came in the right time for me.”
Djokovic will next face Tommy Haas, the 35-year-old German who is enjoying a late career revival and beat Feliciano Lopez of Spain, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5, 6-4.
Top-ranked Serena Williams wasn't bad either, easily beating the oldest woman in the tournament.
Williams recorded her 600th career win, brushing aside 42-year-old Kimiko Date-Krumm, 6-2, 6-0.
Williams finished with 28 winners to eight for Date-Krumm and broke her five times. The five-time champion will next face Sabine Lisicki of Germany.
American Sloane Stephens advanced to the fourth round for the first time, rallying for a 7-6 (3), 0-6, 6-4 win over Petra Cetkovska. American Madison Keys fell, 7-5, 4-6, 6-3, to fourth-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Researchers: U.S. lacks proving ground for nuclear energy innovations
- Polamalu could be next in long line of Steelers greats given unceremonial exit
- Charges held for court in robbery of Elizabeth gas station with machete
- Penguins’ Lovejoy embracing defensive pairing with Pouliot
- Experts: Clinton took dangerous path with email system
- Mon-Yough Laurels & Lances
- Over the falls — Cucumber Falls that is — go 3 Kayakers in OhioPyle
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Wolf reverses Corbett, says deal between Highmark, UPMC doesn’t limit continuity of care to very ill
- Ships Wheel Tavern owner known for food, beloved for compassion
- Big banks’ levels of capital strong, Federal Reserve finds