International soccer powers to play at Heinz Field
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Two of international soccer's most powerful clubs, AC Milan and Manchester City, will play July 27 at Heinz Field, according to Peter Smith, one of the organizers of the 2014 International Champions Cup.
The International Champions Cup, in its second year, will be contested between eight premier European teams in 12 U.S. cities. The other six teams: Manchester United, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Inter Milan, AS Roma, Olympiacos.
Kickoff for the Heinz Field match will be 4 p.m.
The semifinals and final will be at Sun Life Stadium in Miami, where the formal announcement of the tournament is expected Tuesday.
AC Milan had been set to play at Heinz Field in August 2012, an international friendly with Newcastle United, but organizers, including the Steelers, called it off because they didn't feel there was enough time to promote the event properly. They tried again in 2013, but the Steelers didn't sign off.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Couple attempts theft at North Huntingdon Walmart
- Unquestionable courage & sacrifice
- Oncologists wary of scaled-back guidelines in cancer screenings
- CVS to enter elder-care market with acquisition of drug distributor Omnicare
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Memorial Day service in National Cemetery of the Alleghenies still growing
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject
- Cochran repair center planned in Harrison
- Hinderliter sets personal best while winning PIAA gold in javelin