International soccer powers to play at Heinz Field
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Two of international soccer's most powerful clubs, AC Milan and Manchester City, will play July 27 at Heinz Field, according to Peter Smith, one of the organizers of the 2014 International Champions Cup.
The International Champions Cup, in its second year, will be contested between eight premier European teams in 12 U.S. cities. The other six teams: Manchester United, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Inter Milan, AS Roma, Olympiacos.
Kickoff for the Heinz Field match will be 4 p.m.
The semifinals and final will be at Sun Life Stadium in Miami, where the formal announcement of the tournament is expected Tuesday.
AC Milan had been set to play at Heinz Field in August 2012, an international friendly with Newcastle United, but organizers, including the Steelers, called it off because they didn't feel there was enough time to promote the event properly. They tried again in 2013, but the Steelers didn't sign off.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- Pittsburgh author: ‘Supernatural’ generally can be explained
- Pitt students clean up Mon Valley neighborhoods for annual service day
- ReClaim McKeesport ambassadors transform vacant lot
- Large-scale batteries are integral in shift to renewable energy
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- North Versailles Township commissioner opposes closing Green Valley Primary School