International soccer powers to play at Heinz Field
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Two of international soccer's most powerful clubs, AC Milan and Manchester City, will play July 27 at Heinz Field, according to Peter Smith, one of the organizers of the 2014 International Champions Cup.
The International Champions Cup, in its second year, will be contested between eight premier European teams in 12 U.S. cities. The other six teams: Manchester United, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Inter Milan, AS Roma, Olympiacos.
Kickoff for the Heinz Field match will be 4 p.m.
The semifinals and final will be at Sun Life Stadium in Miami, where the formal announcement of the tournament is expected Tuesday.
AC Milan had been set to play at Heinz Field in August 2012, an international friendly with Newcastle United, but organizers, including the Steelers, called it off because they didn't feel there was enough time to promote the event properly. They tried again in 2013, but the Steelers didn't sign off.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not grooming successor to RB Williams
- 11 more artist-designed bike racks from Cultural Trust line Pittsburgh streets
- Penn State coach Franklin calls for patience
- Christmas comes to Westmoreland County in many ways
- McIntyre students hope Buddy Bench is beneficial to all
- ISIS claims hotel attack in Egypt
- North Hills businessman’s secretary pleads guilty, says she helped him hide $27M from IRS
- Obama pledges support for France against ISIS, wary of role for Russia
- Thanksgiving by the numbers
- House Republicans call for refugee limits in spending bill
- Bowl destination is at stake for Pitt football in regular-season finale