NFL notebook: Jets' Holmes out for season with foot injury
Things just got a lot tougher for the struggling New York Jets.
Wide receiver Santonio Holmes will miss the rest of this season with an injured left foot, leaving the Jets without their top offensive playmaker. The team announced Wednesday that Holmes will require surgery and was placed on season-ending injured reserve.
“Obviously, that's a big loss for us,” coach Rex Ryan said. “Santonio's one of the top receivers in the game, and it is a big loss.”
And, that's quite the understatement.
The news came just over a week after star cornerback Darrelle Revis was likely lost for the season with a torn ligament in his left knee — although the Jets haven't placed him on IR yet, in case, Ryan said, he recovers in time to play in the Super Bowl.
But that leaves the Jets (2-2) without their best players on defense and offense as they try to return to the playoffs this year after missing out last season.
Holmes, who played for the Steelers from 2006-09, leads the Jets with 20 catches for 272 yards and a touchdown this season.
Titans will start Hasselbeck at QB
Coach Mike Munchak said Matt Hasselbeck will be the starting quarterback Sunday when the Titans visit Minnesota. Munchak said Jake Locker will not dress while his injured left shoulder continues to heal.
Bills DT fined for roughing up Brady
Bills defensive tackle Kyle Williams was fined $15,000 by the NFL for a roughing the passer penalty against New England's Tom Brady. Williams revealed Wednesday that he had been fined for a play that happened in the third quarter of a 52-28 loss to the Patriots on Sunday. Williams was flagged after he was knocked to the turf and his arm caught the back of Brady's leg.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Chances dwindle for Browns receiver Gordon after failed drug test
- NFL notebook: Seahawks warned 15-yard penalty for Lynch obscene gesture
- ‘Beli-cheat’s’ reputation built over many years
- Starkey: Suspend ‘Beli-cheat,’ now or later
- NFL notebook: Lynch fined for obscene gesture
- NFL notebook: Packers coach McCarthy’s younger brother dies at 47
- NFL notebook: Agent denies Ravens DT Cody injured dog
- Patriots coach, QB say they don’t know how balls were deflated
- Belichick, Brady offer no explanation for deflated game balls