Cleveland Browns employee kills self at practice center
BEREA, Ohio -- A member of the Cleveland Browns' grounds crew killed himself at their practice facility, the team said in a statement Sunday.
The man's body was found Saturday morning at the facility in suburban Cleveland, the same day Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager after earlier killing his girlfriend.
Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis released a statement calling the man a good friend and an outstanding employee and saying the team's heartfelt condolences go out to his family.
"This is a terrible tragedy," the statement said. "He will be missed by everyone in the Cleveland Browns organization."
The Browns play in Oakland against the Raiders on Sunday.
A spokesman for the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner said they were called to the practice facility to investigate a suicide Saturday morning, but would not release any further details.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mother of NFL Hall of Famer and Aliquippa native Ditka dies
- NFL notebook: Report: Manning set to return to Broncos, takes $4M pay cut
- Combine notebook: New 49ers coach, W.Pa. native Tomsula growing more comfortable
- NFL notebook: Bills reportedly reach deal to trade for former Pitt star McCoy
- NFL notebook: After ruling, Panthers’ Hardy seeking immediate reinstatement
- NFL notebook: Cowboys to place franchise tag on wide receiver Bryant
- NFL notebook: Lions opt not to tag DT Suh
- Rossi: NFL has some deeds worth celebrating
- Combine quarterbacks must learn new techniques to make jump to next level
- Steelers notebook: Search for tight end could lead to Penn State’s James
- NFL notebook: Seahawks’ S Thomas has surgery on shoulder