Cleveland Browns employee kills self at practice center
BEREA, Ohio -- A member of the Cleveland Browns' grounds crew killed himself at their practice facility, the team said in a statement Sunday.
The man's body was found Saturday morning at the facility in suburban Cleveland, the same day Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager after earlier killing his girlfriend.
Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis released a statement calling the man a good friend and an outstanding employee and saying the team's heartfelt condolences go out to his family.
"This is a terrible tragedy," the statement said. "He will be missed by everyone in the Cleveland Browns organization."
The Browns play in Oakland against the Raiders on Sunday.
A spokesman for the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner said they were called to the practice facility to investigate a suicide Saturday morning, but would not release any further details.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Harvin ‘happy’ to be with Jets
- NFL notebook: Report: Wide receiver Harvin a ‘time bomb’
- NFL notebook: Giants star WR Victor Cruz done for season
- NFL notebook: Cowboys RB Randle fined, but will play Sunday
- NFL notebook: Assault lawsuit against Cowboys owner Jones dismissed
- NFL notebook: Seahawks trade receiver Harvin to Jets
- NFL notebook: Charles becomes Chiefs’ career rushing leader