NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME MATCHUP OF THE WEEK 49ERS QB COLIN KAEPERNICK vs. FALCONS OLB STEPHEN NICHOLAS/SEAN WEATHERSPOON
By Mark Kaboly
Published: Sunday, January 20, 2013, 12:28 a.m.
Updated: Sunday, January 20, 2013
49ers qb colin kaepernick vs. falcons olbs stephen nicholas/sean weatherspoon
MATCHUP: San Francisco QB Colin Kaepernick put up an impressive performance against Green Bay last week when he rushed for 181 yards on 16 carries and scored a pair of touchdowns. The Falcons will need big games from outside linebackers Stephen Nicholas (pictured) and Sean Weatherspoon along with defensive ends Kroy Biermann and John Abraham/Cliff Matthews to contain Kaepernick.
KAEPERNICK: His ability to run the read-option out of the Pistol offense has been difficult to contain this year, especially to the right side of the formation (at least last week). Out of Kaepernick's 181 yards last week, 75 came on designed runs to the right side of the offense. However, for the season, he rushed for just as many around the left, making it even more difficult to defend.
NICHOLAS/WEATHERSPOON: Atlanta's two OLBs are going to be responsible for preventing Kaepernick from getting outside and making splash plays. What that entails is staying in their gaps and making sure tackles. The Falcons typically play a 4-3 defense but are also multiple so it's likely they will play some 3-4. Nicholas leads the Falcons with 97 tackles and Weatherspoon second with 95.
- NFL notebook: Gronkowski’s infection may have subsided
- NFL notebook: San Francisco lands 50th Super Bowl
- Undrafted free agents get the chance to prove the NFL scouts wrong
- Tebow, Jets part ways after 1 season
- NFL notebook: Ex-Penn State center Shipley traded to Ravens
- Ex-NFL star, Uniontown native Muncie dies
- Harrison ready to earn his stripes in Cincinnati
- Penn State’s McGloin signs with Raiders
- NFL notebook: Steelers sign 4th-round selection Thomas
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.