NFL notebook: Tebow won't speak at controversial church
Jets quarterback Tim Tebow has backed out of an appearance at a Baptist mega church in Dallas run by a pastor who has created controversy with his remarks about gays and other faiths.
Tebow tweeted Thursday that he canceled a scheduled April 28 appearance at First Baptist Church because of “new information that has been brought to my attention.”
The Rev. Robert Jeffress, First Baptist's pastor, confirmed in a phone interview that Tebow called him Wednesday night to cancel.
Tebow wasn't going to speak about anything controversial, Jeffress said.
“We had planned for him to speak very positively about the difference Jesus Christ had made in his life,” Jeffress said.
Agreement needed on HGH testing
NFL senior vice president Adolpho Birch said Thursday the league and players association need to reach an agreement soon on HGH testing.
The NFL and the union agreed in principle to HGH testing when a new 10-year labor agreement was finalized in August 2011. But protocols must be approved by both sides and the players have questioned the science in the testing procedures, delaying implementation.
Vikes' GM says Harvin's not going anywhere
Vikings general manager Rick Spielman can't say it enough: Percy Harvin will remain in Minnesota, and he's not going to discuss contracts in public.
Six days after initially telling local reporters exactly that, Spielman came to the NFL's annual scouting combine and was asked to address the situation again. He hasn't budged.
Spielman says he has no intent to deal the receiver he calls a “dynamic playmaker,” and won't even take phone calls.
Idzik: Revis a Jet
The Jets made one thing clear Thursday. They're not planning to trade Darrelle Revis.
In their most detailed comments since rumors surfaced the team might be dealing the former Pitt star Revis, coach Rex Ryan and new general manager John Idzik said they expect Revis to return from his season-ending knee injury as a Jet.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Cardinals to stay in W.Va. ahead of Steelers game
- Laurel Highlands grad Ramsey makes 49ers practice roster
- NFL notebook: RB Murray unhappy with role in Philly
- NFL notebook: Dolphins fire coach Philbin after 3rd straight defeat
- NFL notebook: Ex-Pitt RB Lewis signs 2-year extension with Patriots
- NFL notebook: Ravens trade for Rams WR Givens
- NFL notebook: Browns hire former Pitt player, assistant Dunn
- NFL notebook: Luck ‘better every day,’ status remains uncertain for Thursday
- NFL notebook: Reserve QB Johnson back with Colts