NFL notebook: Romo gets 6-year, $108 million deal
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, March 29, 2013, 9:06 p.m.
ARLINGTON, Texas — Tony Romo has a chance to start for the Dallas Cowboys longer than Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman. The question is whether he will ever match their Super Bowl pedigrees.
Romo signed a six-year contract extension worth $108 million Friday, with about half of that guaranteed to make him the highest-paid player in franchise history.
The agreement, reported on the team's website, will lower the quarterback's salary cap number for 2013 by about $5 million, giving the team more room to sign free agents and draft picks.
Romo, who turns 33 next month and was entering the final year of his contract, gets $55 million guaranteed.
Super Bowl winner Joe Flacco got $52 million guaranteed in the six-year, $120.6 million contract he signed with Baltimore earlier this month.
“I think it's just exciting more than anything that you know you're going to be here the rest of my career,” Romo said in a video on the team's website that showed owner Jerry Jones exchanging high-fives with Romo's nearly 1-year-old son.
Romo could be with Dallas through 2019, giving him a chance to be the starter longer than the 11 seasons of Aikman and seven of Staubach, who was a part-time starter his first four years with the Cowboys.
Aikman and Staubach won five Super Bowls between them, while Romo has just one playoff win in six full seasons as the starter.
Polamalu: Players should have say in rules changes
Steelers safety Troy Polamalu says that if the NFL is going to keep passing rules designed to make the game safer, the players should get a vote on those rules.
“There's rule changes every year,” Polamalu said in an interview on ESPN's “SportsCenter.” “I do wish, however, that the NFL did have a voice from the players' side, whether it's our players' union president, or team captains, or our executive committee on the players' side. Because we're the guys that realize the risk, we're the guys on the field.”
Polamalu made his statements in regard to a recent new rule passed against delivering forcible blows with the crown of the helmet outside the tackle box. The NFL's competition committee did ask for player input on that rule before presenting the change to the owners, who approved it by a vote of 31-1.
Bears re-sign McCown
The Bears re-signed backup quarterback Josh McCown, agreeing to a one-year contract.
The 33-year-old McCown finished the last two years with the Bears, joining them each season in November after starter Jay Cutler was injured. In 10 NFL seasons with Arizona, Detroit, Oakland, Carolina and Chicago, he has started 33 of 50 games and completed 645 passes for 6,998 yards and 37 touchdowns.
Also, the Bears and former Jets guard Matt Slauson have agreed to a 1-year contract.
Slauson, 6-foot-5, 315-pounds, started 48 of 51 games with the Jets. Last season he didn't allow any sacks.
Raiders to acquire Flynn
The Raiders are expected to complete a trade for Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn shortly, according to multiple reports.
The Raiders have been talking to Seattle about him recently, as had the Bills and Jaguars. Oakland is looking for options to replace Carson Palmer, who is to make $13 million for 2013 and has balked at a pay cut.
The Seahawks are looking to move Flynn's $5 million salary and give him a chance to start elsewhere, and they will consider Tyler Thigpen among the options to replace Flynn as Russell Wilson's backup, sources said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.