NFL notebook: Cardinals' Washington suspended four games
TEMPE, Ariz. — The NFL suspended Cardinals inside linebacker Daryl Washington for the first four games of next season for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
Washington made the Pro Bowl as an alternate last season. He led the Cardinals in 2012 with 140 tackles — 110 of them solo. He had nine sacks, 14 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles, an interception, a fumble recovery and six passes defensed. Washington's nine sacks were the most by an NFL inside linebacker.
He is eligible to participate in all preseason practices and in preseason games.
Washington signed a six-year contract last September.
No fines for combine questioning
The NFL has concluded its investigation into questions that prospects were asked at the Indianapolis scouting combine and found none of its teams committed any specific wrongdoing.
“Our review has not established any specific violations,” a league spokesman told CBSSports.com, “but we have made it clear to our clubs what is acceptable when interviewing potential players and other job candidates.”
In February, several prospects said they were asked several questions that they deemed to be probing of their sexual preferences. One of the questions, according to a prospect was: “Do you like girls?”
Around the league
Receiver Domenik Hixon agreed to a one-year contract with the Panthers. ... Redskins brought back Rex Grossman and gave Pat White another chance at the NFL. Grossman agreed to a one-year deal to return to the team, and White also agreed to sign after three years away from the league. ... The Lions agreed to a two-year contract with veteran defensive tackle C.J. Mosley. ... The Bengals acquired quarterback John Skelton off waivers from Arizona. ... The Raiders signed free agent cornerback Tracy Porter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Brady free to play after judge rules against NFL in ‘Deflategate’
- Steelers reporter Mark Kaboly’s NFL playoff picks
- Through all gimmicks, NFL remains downfield passer league
- Point after touchdowns are extra special in NFL this season
- Previewing the NFL’s American Football Conference
- NFL going back to the future with Los Angeles
- NFL notebook: Jaguars TE Thomas to have surgery, miss 3 games
- NFL notebook: Redskins’ Griffin speaks, but not about being supplanted as starting QB