NFL notebook: Shanahan plans to keep closer tabs on RG III
• Mike Shanahan is adjusting his gut when it comes to Robert GriffinIII. The Redskins' coach indicated Wednesday he's going to be more cautious with his franchise quarterback to the point that he's going to make sure that Griffin ‘'never plays if he's not 100 percent.'' Griffin, the league's offensive rookie of the year, is recovering from reconstructive surgery after reinjuring his right knee in a playoff loss to the Seahawks.
• The Chiefs are expected to buck the trend Thursday during the NFL Draft. Quarterbacks have gone first overall the past four years, but most people believe there isn't one available worthy of the selection. So the Chiefs may opt for an offensive tackle, even though only two have been picked No. 1 since 1970. Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel and Central Michigan's Eric Fisher are the best bets.
• NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he met with Browns owner Jimmy Haslam about the federal investigation into his family's truck stop chain. The FBI alleges widespread fraud of customers at Pilot Flying J, the country's largest diesel retailer. Haslam, a former Steelers minority owner, has said he won't step aside from the Browns or as the company's CEO. Asked at a pre-draft event Wednesday if he was concerned, Goodell said “of course when you have that type of thing.”
• Browns linebacker Quentin Groves apologized following his citation on a soliciting charge stemming from what police called a prostitution sting. Groves said in a statement that he let a lot of people down, starting with his family, and he told fans, the Browns and the city of Cleveland he was sorry for putting himself in this situation.
• The Packers released running back Brandon Saine and linebacker D.J. Smith.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Brady’s lawsuit will be heard in New York
- Steelers’ Bell unsure why NFL reduced his suspension
- NFL notebook: Chiefs SS Berry cleared after cancer treatment
- Patriots QB Brady files lawsuit against NFL to halt suspension
- NFL notebook: Redskins re-sign star linebacker Kerrigan
- NFL notebook: League doles out 3 multiple-game suspensions
- Chiefs star Berry beats cancer, returns to field
- NFL notebook: Ravens owner Bisciotti denies pressuring Goodell over ‘Deflategate’
- Patriots QB Brady’s suspension upheld by Goodell