NFL notebook: Steelers sign 4th-round selection Thomas
Shamarko Thomas, the former Syracuse safety and the first of the Steelers' two fourth-round draft picks, signed a four-year contract Thursday.
Thomas is the first of the Steelers' nine draft picks to reach agreement.
Because the NFL rookie wage scale mandates salaries for fourth- to- seventh-round picks, Thomas' salary was largely pre-determined, except for his signing bonus.
Thomas, the 111th overall pick, figures to be the top backup to Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark. He dropped in the draft partly because he is only 5-foot-9, and some teams were concerned his height would be a liability.
The Steelers obtained Thomas with a pick obtained from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for a third-round pick in 2014.
Bills officially promote Whaley
Doug Whaley (Upper St. Clair/Pitt) was promoted to take over as the Bills general manager, making the team's near top-to-bottom offseason overhaul complete.
Cowboys sign Hargrove
The Cowboys signed defensive end Anthony Hargrove, who sat out the 2012 season after he was suspended as part of the New Orleans Saints' bounty scandal.
Hargrove, who signed a one-year deal Thursday, got an eight-game ban from commissioner Roger Goodell after the NFL said the Saints ran a program that paid defensive players improper cash bonuses for hits that injured opponents from 2009-11.
Arrest warrant issued
A warrant was issued for the arrest of former NFL wide receiver Chad Johnson in South Florida.
The state attorney's office confirmed Thursday that a Broward circuit judge issued a warrant May 7 against Johnson for failing to report to his probation officer.
Jags land Love
The Jaguars added fourth-year defensive tackle Kyle Love off waivers from the Patriots.
The Patriots released Love on Wednesday after he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
Vikings' Webb changes positions
According to reports, Vikings quarterback Joe Webb is switching positions, becoming a wide receiver.
The decision was made after the team brought in Matt Cassel to back up starter Christian Ponder.
Around the league
Free-agent defensive end Dwight Freeney met with Chargers officials and took a physical ... The Browns agreed to terms with free agent running back Brandon Jackson. ... The Kansas City Chiefs hired Will Lewis as director of pro scouting and Marvin Allen as the director of college scouting.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Normally tight-lippped Marshawn Lynch fires back at critics
- Patriots veterans embrace return to Super Bowl
- Seahawks’ Sherman credits upbringing for building his character
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers
- Ex-Aliquippa, Pitt star Revis finally realizes Super Bowl dream
- Getting fired by Patriots led to Carroll’s reinvention
- Belichick, Brady offer no explanation for deflated game balls
- NFL notebook: Patriots employee under scrutiny in underinflated footballs probe
- Patriots not dwelling on last Super Bowl loss in Arizona
- 49ers hire Steel Valley graduate Tomsula as head coach
- NFL notebook: Chances dwindle for Browns receiver Gordon after failed drug test