Share This Page
NFL

NFL notebook: Buccaneers kicker Connor Barth out for season; Tynes signed

| Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 7:54 p.m.

• Buccaneers kicker Connor Barth will miss this season with a torn Achilles tendon, and the team has signed two-time Super Bowl winner Lawrence Tynes as his replacement. Barth was injured last week in his hometown of Wilmington, N.C., and underwent successful surgery Monday. He will be placed on the non-football injury list.

• The Lions released running back Jahvid Best, a first-round draft pick from 2010 who hasn't played since October 2011 because of concussion problems. Best accounted for 1,000-plus yards and six touchdowns as a rookie, but he was limited to six games during the 2011.

• Eagles left tackle Jason Peters will get nearly $2 million in a lawsuit over a rolling walker that he said broke and caused him to reinjure his torn Achilles tendon.

• According to reports, Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has been cleared to return to practice, nine months after tearing his ACL in Week 5 last season.

• The Dolphins said team CEO Mike Dee is leaving to become president and CEO of the San Diego Padres, where he began his career as a sports executive. Dee has been the CEO of the Dolphins and their home Sun Life Stadium since 2009.

• Former NFL quarterback Daunte Culpepper lost a Florida home he owned to a bank in a foreclosure case. Broward County court records show the nearly 10,000-square-foot home was surrendered in April to SunTrust Bank in lieu of foreclosure. The bank cited $3 million in debt in court papers.

• Green Bay CEO Mark Murphy said that the team, the only somewhat-publicly-owned franchise, produced a $54.3 million profit in 2013. A spike in revenue generated to $308.1 million coupled with a drop in players costs to $136.0 million.

— From wire reports

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.