NFL notebook: Raiders' Pryor still in mix for starting QB job
Raiders backup quarterback Terrelle Pryor is making a case for more playing time after a strong showing Friday night, according to a CBSSports.com report.
Pryor is behind Matt Flynn on the depth chart, but the former Jeannette and Ohio State star impressed his coach in the 34-26 loss to the Bears.
“I think obviously we have to look at it,” coach Dennis Allen said of the QB situation. “I think when you look at it I don't think Matt played well in this game. Obviously, I thought Terrelle came in and gave us a spark.”
Flynn threw two interceptions on six pass attempts before being pulled in favor of Pryor in the second quarter to the delight of the frustrated crowd of Raiders fans.
Pryor was 7 of 9 for 93 yards and a touchdown and rushed for 37 yards and a TD on four carries.
“I just want to go out and compete,” Pryor said after the game. “To me, that's just what I do. That's how I expect to play.”
Said Allen, “What I want to look at it is, who gives us the best chance to move the ball down the field and score points. … I'm going to go back and I'm going to look at it, and we'll see where we go from here.”
Bills RB Spiller's family tragedy?
The step-grandfather of Bills running back C.J. Spiller has reportedly been identified as the gunman in a shooting that left two dead and two injured before he committed suicide Saturday morning in northern Florida, according to a WCJB report.
WCJB reported Hubert Allen Jr. shot a man at the trucking company where he used to work, leaving the victim in critical condition. Police say he then went to the company owner's farm, where he shot and killed a farmhand and the owner, Marvin Pritchett.
Authorities say Allen also shot another man, who is in critical condition. According to police, Allen returned to his house, where he killed himself.
Bills QB Kolb knocked from game
Bills quarterback Kevin Kolb was treated for concussion-like symptoms after getting kneed in the back of the helmet in the first quarter against the Redskins.
Sidelined by a concussion last season with Arizona, Kolb was hurt at the end of an 8-yard scramble.
Report: Pack name Young No. 2
The Packers plan to release backup quarterback Graham Harrell, USA Today reported.
That appears to clear the way for Vince Young, the 30-year-old former first-round pick who was out of the NFL last season, to be the Packers' No. 2 quarterback behind Aaron Rodgers.
Around the league
Buccaneers cornerback Darrelle Revis, an Aliquippa and Pitt product, will not play in the preseason, but will make his Tampa Bay debut against his former team, the Jets, in the Sept. 8 opener, Fox Sports reported. ... The Panthers cut fullback Michael Zordich, a undrafted rookie free agent out of Penn State who had suffered a torn ACL earlier this month.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise
- Steelers trying to get missing defensive pieces on field
- Food assistance rises in Western Pa. despite drop in jobless rate
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- Western Pa. played role, was transformed by victory in World War II
- Greensburg torture slaying participant Marinucci makes second appeal of sentence as unconstitutional
- Pittsburgh councilwoman introduces pair of bills to protect animals
- Student violinist,Valley School of Ligonier reach settlement
- Steelers’ Tomlin disappointed by Bryant suspension
- 22-month-old boy shot, killed in North Side; stepfather charged
- Allegheny County CYF worker arrested on child pornography charges