NFL notebook: Giants RB Brown likely to miss 4-6 weeks with broken leg
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, Aug. 30, 2013, 8:03 p.m.
Giants running back Andre Brown is likely to miss four to six weeks with a fractured left leg sustained in Thursday night's preseason finale against the Patriots, according to multiple reports.
Brown called it a “tiny little crack,” saying after the game, “I can come back from this … in a couple weeks.”
Brown, expected to share duties with former first-round pick David Wilson, scored eight touchdowns in 10 games last season before suffering a fractured left fibula in late November.
• The Falcons waived Brian Banks, the linebacker who was attempting to make a late start to his NFL career after spending five years in prison on a conviction that was later overturned.
• The Cardinals placed first-round draft pick Jonathan Cooper on injured reserve, ending the left guard's season.
• The Bills cut a pair of former Pitt players, tight end Dorin Dickerson (West Allegheny) and fullback Zach Brown. Others players with local ties who were released include Jaguars first-year wide receiver Toney Clemons (Valley) and Falcons defensive back Terrence Johnson of Woodland Hills and Cal (Pa.). The Bills also cut quarterback Matt Leinart, a former Heisman Trophy winner, and placed quarterback Kevin Kolb on injured reserve, ending his season.
• San Francisco backup running back LaMichael James suffered a sprained MCL in his left knee and could miss three to four weeks, ESPN reported.
• The Chargers released veteran left tackle Max Starks, who won two Super Bowl rings with the Steelers.
• Former Steelers reserve quarterback Dennis Dixon was among 12 players cut by the Eagles.
• The NFL suspended Bengals defensive end DeQuin Evans for the season's first eight games for violating its policy on performance-enhancing substances for a second time.
• The Patriots released veteran tight ends Jake Ballard and Daniel Fells.
• The Ravens cut Caleb Haney and Dayne Crist, leaving two quarterbacks on the roster. Other cuts included running back Delone Carter, obtained in a trade last week with the Colts.
• The Bears released quarterbacks Jordan Palmer and Trent Edwards.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- NFL notebook: Dolphins trade Martin to 49ers
- NFL notebook: Jets cut former Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes
- Ex-Colts executive Polian: Approach free agency with caution
- Agent confirms Mendenhall retiring from NFL