NFL notebook: Jets QB Sanchez to miss at least 8 weeks
Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez was placed on injured reserve-designated for return, meaning he will not be able to play for the next eight weeks.
Sanchez injured his right shoulder in the team's third preseason game. He has opted to try to rehabilitate the injury rather than have season-ending surgery.
The injury reportedly is a partially torn labrum.
“As far as making a decision that's best for the team and best for my medical health, we're all on the same page,” Sanchez said. “I'll come back, hopefully, in eight weeks and be ready to play.”
The earliest Sanchez could be back is Nov. 17 at Buffalo, following the Jets' bye week.
Geno Smith, a rookie out of West Virginia, has started the Jets' first two games and it appears will continue to be under center.
Redskins sign kicker, cut QB White
The Redskins signed kicker John Potter as their contingency plan in case Kai Forbath is unable to kick Sunday against the Packers.
To make room for Potter on the roster, the Redskins released fourth-string quarterback and former West Virginia star Pat White.
Forbath has a sore groin in his kicking leg. It first flared up in practice Thursday.
Report: Chiefs CB will miss Cowboys game
Chiefs cornerback Dunta Robinson is not expecting to play against the Cowboys on Sunday, ESPN reported.
Robinson missed practice all week after coach Andy Reid excused him to attend to an undisclosed family matter.
According to the report, Robinson went home after a first cousins lapsed into a coma after being hit by a vehicle.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Combine notebook: New 49ers coach, W.Pa. native Tomsula growing more comfortable
- NFL notebook: After ruling, Panthers’ Hardy seeking immediate reinstatement
- Ruling favors Vikings’ Peterson, sets up reinstatement
- Steelers notebook: Search for tight end could lead to Penn State’s James
- Former Pitt OT Clemmings highly touted for NFL Draft despite inexperience
- Rossi: NFL has some deeds worth celebrating
- Combine quarterbacks must learn new techniques to make jump to next level
- NFL notebook: Colts GM says league alerted about deflated footballs before AFC title game
- NFL Scouting Combine notebook: West Virginia receiver White possesses rare blend of speed, strength
- NFL notebook: Seahawks’ S Thomas has surgery on shoulder
- NFL notebook: Lions release veteran running back Bush