NFL notebook: Titans CEO says team not for sale
• Tommy Smith knows fans aren't happy with a franchise missing the playoffs for a fifth straight season. The team's new president and chief executive officer said Sunday he will wait until the season ends for a review of what changes are needed. Smith took over Oct. 29 after the death of the franchise's founder and his father-in-law Bud Adams. The family has met with the NFL's finance committee and hopes the league approves their takeover in ownership at the March owners' meetings. Smith said there is no scenario where the family would sell the franchise.
• Bills receiver Stevie Johnson could have flown home — and no one would have blamed him. Johnson's mother died Saturday at her Northern California home. Rhonda Lewis was 48. Johnson and the Bills already had arrived in Jacksonville when he heard the devastating news. He sat down with coach Doug Marrone, who gave him the option of leaving or staying for Sunday's game against the Jaguars. He didn't tell anyone else. Johnson decided to stay with his teammates. Johnson finished with one catch for 4 yards in a 27-20 victory.
• Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz left Sunday's game against the Seattle Seahawks with a concussion and a sprained knee. Cruz was 2 yards shy of his third straight 1,000-yard receiving season when he was hurt.
• Rookie wide receiver Tavon Austin (West Virginia) was inactive for the Rams Sunday after missing the practice week with a left ankle injury.
• Adrian Peterson was held out of Minnesota's game against Philadelphia on Sunday because of a sprained right foot. Because they're out of playoff contention, the Vikings decided not to risk the health of the 2012 NFL MVP.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Bills demote Manuel, name Orton starting QB
- NFL notebook: Jets’ Ryan says Smith will remain starting quarterback
- Robinson: NFL has long history of missteps
- NFL notebook: McDonald’s hearing postponed again
- Vikings bar Peterson from all team activities
- NFL notebook: Student: Ex-Titan chased him, friends before crash
- NFL notebook: Vikings put Cassel on IR, turn to Bridgewater
- NFL notebook: Video addressed to NFL security chief