NFL notebook: Garcon breaks Hall of Famer Monk's reception record
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013, 8:24 p.m.
• Redskins receiver Pierre Garcon broke Hall of Famer Art Monk's franchise record for catches in a season by grabbing his 107th in Washington's loss to the Cowboys. Monk had 106 in 1984. “It's pretty cool, but with the season going on, it's pretty hard to celebrate anything right now,” said Garcon, whose Redskins are 3-12.
• Rams offensive tackle Jake Long was taken off the field on a cart with a right knee injury. Coach Jeff Fisher said the team believed Long had a torn ACL. It appeared Long's knee gave out on pass protection against the Buccaneers' Adrian Clayborn. He has started every game at left tackle. Long was the first overall pick of the 2008 draft by the Dolphins.
• Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton was charged with assault and public intoxication after refusing to leave a bar and fighting with employees in a Dallas suburb. Grapevine, Texas, police Sgt. Robert Eberling said Melton was arrested early Sunday at Chill Sports Bar after becoming belligerent. The nearly 300-pound Melton, who suffered a cut nose but declined treatment, was freed on $1,210 bond. The 27-year-old Melton allegedly punched the manager in the face and bit his arm, Eberling said. The manager wasn't seriously hurt. Eberling said four bar staffers restrained Melton until police arrived.
• Broncos star linebacker Von Miller left Sunday's game against the Texans with a knee injury. Miller suffered the injury during the first quarter and walked off on his own.
• Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith suffered a sprained knee in the first quarter against the Saints. He will undergo an MRI on Monday, ESPN reported. “They said it's nothing, but my knee doesn't feel like nothing,” Smith said.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Ex-Steelers safety Clark returns to Redskins
- NFL notebook: Seahawks acquire QB Pryor from Raiders