NFL notebook: Report: Lions want Whisenhunt as next coach
Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt is the leading candidate for the Lions' coaching job, NFL.com reported.
Whisenhunt and Lions general manager Martin Mayhew were teammates with the Redskins in 1989-90.
Whisenhunt, 51, was coach of the Cardinals from 2007-2012 and offensive coordinator for the Steelers from 2004-06.
The Lions can't hire Whisenhunt until after the Chargers' season is over. San Diego, a 27-10 winner at the Bengals on Sunday, will play at Denver next weekend in the divisional round.
Seahawks RB Lynch fined $50K
The NFL fined Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch $50,000 for violating the league's media policy.
Lynch stepped in front of a camera Friday and spoke for less than 90 seconds. It was his first time taking questions from the media all season, having politely declined every previous time.
Lynch's longest answer was 24 words when asked about the Seahawks' focus this week not knowing who their opponent will be.
The Seahawks will host the Saints in the divisional playoffs Saturday.
Around the league
Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden is among the top names on the Redskins' list to fill their coaching vacancy, CBSSports.com reported. ... Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is a leading candidate for the Titans' coaching job, ESPN reported.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Brady free to play after judge rules against NFL in ‘Deflategate’
- Name of game is content for in-game experience at NFL stadiums
- NFL going back to the future with Los Angeles
- Through all gimmicks, NFL remains downfield passer league
- Steelers reporter Mark Kaboly’s NFL playoff picks
- Previewing the NFL’s American Football Conference
- Point after touchdowns are extra special in NFL this season
- Previewing the NFL’s National Football Conference
- Winning, job security don’t go together in today’s NFL
- NFL notebook: Redskins’ Griffin speaks, but not about being supplanted as starting QB
- Jeannette native Pryor’s fate hangs in balance