NFL notebook: Lawsuit alleges Eli Manning, Giants sold fake 'game-used' gear
• A sports collector Wednesday filed a lawsuit against Giants quarterback Eli Manning and other members of the franchise, including CEO John Mara, alleging they participated in selling fake “game-used” Super Bowl jerseys and other memorabilia so they could keep the originals for themselves, according to a New York Post report. The list of those allegedly fake items includes a helmet that Manning supposedly wore in the Giants' 2008 Super Bowl victory over the Patriots, which is now on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
• Jonathan Martin sent explicit text messages to Richie Incognito, threatening to “kill (his) whole family,” Incognito's attorney Mark Schamel said, according to a Miami Herald report. But Incognito never felt in any danger because he saw the text messages as “banter between friends, not bullying,” Schamel said. All of these explosive messages were given to NFL investigator Ted Wells and presumably will be included in his report on the Dolphins' workplace conduct scandal.
• The Bills added to their coaching staff by naming Bethel Park native Jim Hostler a senior offensive assistant. Hostler spent the past six seasons as a wide receivers coach with the Ravens.
• The NFL will launch a new digital video service this summer, seeking to increase revenue from the growing mobile advertising market. The league announced “NFL Now” will offer game highlights, archived NFL Films footage and original news and analysis programs. Basic content will be free on smartphones, tablets, computers and some consoles and streaming devices.
• Nick Eason, who played on two Super Bowl teams with the Steelers from 2007-10, was hired as a Titans assistant defensive line coach under new head coach Ken Whisenhunt.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Rams leave Sam off practice squad
- NFL notebook: Bailey, Sam among cuts
- Not to be left behind, speedy Steelers are on the fast track in NFL
- NFL notebook: Niners’ McDonald arrested after domestic incident
- NFL increases penalties for domestic violence
- NFL notebook: Manning fined for taunting Texans safety
- NFL notebook: Seahawks part ways with Jeannette’s Pryor