NFL notebook: Rams owner buys stadium-sized lot in LA
• A company tied to Rams ownerStan Kroenke has purchased a prime piece of land in the Los Angeles area amid speculation the NFL franchise is considering a return to the city it left for the Midwest nearly two decades ago. Team officials Friday provided a written statement confirming the recent purchase of a 60-acre site in Inglewood, Calif., adjacent to the shuttered Hollywood Park racetrack. The property is three miles east of Los Angeles International Airport runways and sprawls between the newly renovated Forum concert venue and Hollywood Park, which closed Dec. 22 after 75 years of horse racing. The latter 260-acre site is slated for development of 3,000 housing units, commercial space and parks. Los Angeles has lacked an NFL team since the Rams and Raiders left in 1994. The Rams can break their 30-year lease in St. Louis after the 2014 season.
• Former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez used “coded messages” to communicate about his murder case in jailhouse phone calls, Massachusetts prosecutors said in a request for access to recordings of his calls. In the calls, Hernandez discussed the murder of Odin Lloyd, including his “belief about his criminal liability” and the “extent of his control over persons charged as accessories,” according to the request.
• Some consider the Seahawks' Richard Sherman to be the best cornerback in the league, but Eagles running back LeSean McCoy doesn't see it that way. McCoy picked fellow Pitt productDarrelle Revis of the Buccaneers. “It's not even close,” McCoy said on Sirius XM radio. “(Revis) is better. If you watch Darrelle Revis' tape, his best clips, and you take (Sherman's), it's not even close.”
•Geno Smith is unfazed by the Jets not committing to him as their starting quarterback for next season, adding that Rex Ryan “knows how to push my buttons.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Raiders’ Jones-Drew retires; Woodley released
- Mother of NFL Hall of Famer and Aliquippa native Ditka dies
- Combine notebook: New 49ers coach, W.Pa. native Tomsula growing more comfortable
- NFL notebook: Cardinals, Fitzgerald agree to new contract
- NFL notebook: Cowboys to place franchise tag on wide receiver Bryant
- NFL notebook: Bills reportedly reach deal to trade for former Pitt star McCoy
- NFL notebook: Report: Manning set to return to Broncos, takes $4M pay cut