NFL notebook: Dolphins fire O-line coach for role in bullying scandal
Dolphins offensive line coach Jim Turner and longtime head athletic trainer Kevin O'Neill were fired for their roles in the team's bullying scandal.
The firings Wednesday were the first punitive steps taken by the Dolphins since a report on the NFL's investigation into the scandal was released last week.
Investigators found that guard Richie Incognito and two teammates engaged in a pattern of harassment directed at tackle Jonathan Martin, another offensive lineman and an assistant trainer. Martin left the team at midseason, and Incognito was suspended.
In a news release, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said Turner and O'Neill “both exhibited poor judgment at times.”
Turner took part in some of the taunting, the NFL report said.
Report: Rice knocked out fiancee
Ravens running back Ray Rice knocked his fiancee unconscious and dragged her out of an elevator at an Atlantic City, N.J., casino after the two allegedly assaulted each other Friday night, according to a summons obtained by WBAL radio.
Also, a video posted by TMZ shows Rice lifting Janay Palmer by her arms out of an elevator at the Revel Casino and laying her on the floor, ESPN reported. She appears to be limp as he drags her legs away from the elevator doors and props her up.
TE Davis explains suspension
Redskins tight end Fred Davis wants everyone to know that his latest NFL suspension resulted from taking a supplement that contained a banned substance — and not a repeat of the recreational drug use that got him into trouble in the past.
The NFL announced Davis is suspended indefinitely without pay for violating the league's substance abuse policy. It is his second substance-abuse suspension — he sat out the final four games of the 2011 season after testing positive for marijuana.
Around the league
The Cowboys won the coin flip to break their draft-position tie with the Ravens and will select 16th in the first round. ... The NFL's competition committee is unlikely to make major changes to the replay system or playoffs this year. … Chargers receiver Danario Alexander required “multiple” surgeries on his right knee due to infection following a second ACL surgery and may not be able to play in 2014, FoxSports reported. ... The Redskins want a second-round pick to part with quarterback Kirk Cousins, the Washington Post reported.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Apple Hill Playhouse takes on an updated ‘Snow White’
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, July 6, 2015
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- High tax could scuttle online gaming in Pa., CEO says
- Geibel Catholic acting, music camp enters 4th year
- Alamo named as World Heritage site by United Nations
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback