NFL notebook: DE Allen, Seahawks nearing deal
• Free agent defensive end Jared Allen on Thursday made his second visit to Seahawks headquarters in less than a week. Yet, he left without a deal. Allen, who had 111⁄2 sacks last season with the Vikings, is reportedly going to use the weekend to think over the Seahawks' offer. ESPN reported that a deal with Allen was close Thursday afternoon. Then, the tenor of reports shifted to wait-and-see. Allen also visited the Cowboys this week. However, the Cowboys signed defensive tackle Henry Melton on Wednesday, likely taking them out of the running for Allen because of a lack of salary cap space.
• Free agent running back Knowshon Moreno scheduled a visit with the Dolphins, who are looking to upgrade their ground game. Moreno, a five-year veteran, had his best season in 2013 when he rushed for 1,038 yards, caught 60 passes and scored 13 touchdowns with the Broncos. He's expected to complete his visit Friday. The Dolphins ranked 26th in the NFL in rushing last year, when Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas were their primary ball carriers. Both remain on the roster.
•The Texans signed quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick to a two-year contract, ESPN.com reported. A former starter with the Bills, Fitzpatrick played last season with the Titans. He went 217 of 350 for 2,454 yards with 14 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions in nine games.
• The Falcons agreed to terms with return specialist Devin Hester. The 31-year-old Hester is a three-time Pro-Bowler who last year tied an NFL record with his 19th scoring return in eight seasons with the Bears. Coming off a dismal 4-12 season, the Falcons are hoping he can bolster a unit that ranked 28th in the league in kickoff return yards and 21st in punt return yards. Hester has scored on 13 punt returns, five kickoff returns and off a missed field goal. In 2013, he led the NFL in kickoff return yards (1,436) and total return yards (1,692). In addition, Hester has 217 receptions for 2,807 yards and 14 touchdowns in his career.
• The Cardinals agreed on the terms of a one-year contract with free agent cornerback Antonio Cromartie. A three-time Pro Bowl selection, Cromartie spent the past four seasons with the Jets.
• Safety Charles Woodson agreed to a one-year deal to extend his second stint with the Raiders to a second season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- NFL notebook: Colts RB Ballard suffers another season-ending injury
- Well-traveled Clemons trying to find home with Carolina Panthers
- Ravens’ Rice must sit 1st 2 games
- NFL notebook: Broncos owner Bowlen has Alzheimer’s, steps down
- NFL notebook: Dungy says he would not have drafted Sam
- NFL notebook: Jermichael Finley says the Steelers showed interest
- NFL notebook: Suspended Jaguars WR Blackmon arrested for pot
- NFL notebook: Dungy clarifies Sam comments
- NFL notebook: Goodell suggests Raiders could play at 49ers’ new stadium
- NFL notebook: League will limit pre-draft evaluations