NFL notebook: Kosar believes slurred speech cost him TV gig
Former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar believes he was unfairly sacked as a TV broadcaster.
Kosar was removed as a color commentator for Cleveland's preseason games by the team. The Browns said Wednesday night he was being replaced by Solomon Wilcots, who will work with play-by-play announcer Jim Donovan.
Kosar contends he was removed because of slurred speech he attributes to “a direct result of the many concussions I received while playing in the NFL.”
The 50-year-old Kosar estimated he has had more than a dozen documented concussions.
Kosar called the situation “unfortunate” and said doing the preseason games is “truly one of the remaining joys in my life.”
Preseason PATs moved back
The NFL will discuss expanded playoffs and longer extra points at the owners' meetings next month in Atlanta.
Should the owners vote on the increase in May, commissioner Roger Goodell said the 14-team playoffs could be implemented for the upcoming season, or for 2015.
The NFL also will experiment with snapping the ball from the 15-yard line on extra points — a 33-yard kick — in the first two weeks of the preseason to make them more challenging.
Around the league
The district attorney's office referred the airport arrest of 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith to the Los Angeles city attorney's office for misdemeanor consideration. Smith was arrested April 13 at Los Angeles International Airport. ... The Bills cheerleaders will be making no appearances this year, a decision that comes days after a lawsuit over pay and working conditions.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Rams leave Sam off practice squad
- NFL notebook: Bailey, Sam among cuts
- Not to be left behind, speedy Steelers are on the fast track in NFL
- NFL notebook: Manning fined for taunting Texans safety
- NFL notebook: Seahawks part ways with Jeannette’s Pryor
- NFL notebook: Ex-player Gilbert releases platform for NFLPA bid
- NFL notebook: QB Newton says ‘no doubt’ he’ll be ready for opener
- NFL increases penalties for domestic violence