Penn State WR Robinson goes to Jacksonville
Penn State wide receiver Allen Robinson was the first of three players from district schools drafted Friday night when he was selected in the second round (61st overall) by the Jacksonville Jaguars.
He was the 11th wide receiver taken in the first two rounds, including his new teammate, USC's Marqise Lee, who was selected early in the second round (39th overall) by the Jaguars.
Two West Virginia players were chosen in the third round.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected running back Charles Sims, who scored 51 touchdowns for two schools, with the 69th overall selection.
Defensive end Will Clarke, 6-6, 271, went to the Kansas City Chiefs at 88. Clarke is a graduate of Allderdice.
Robinson (6-foot-2, 220 pounds), who left Penn State with a year of eligibility remaining, was a two-year starter for the Nittany Lions. He caught a school-record 77 passes for 1,018 yards and 11 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2012.
He broke his records last season with 97 receptions for 1,432 yards and six touchdowns while being named a third-team All-American.
Sims, 6-0, 214, played one season at West Virginia (2013), rushing for 1,095 yards and 11 touchdowns and catching 45 passes for 401 and three scores after transferring from Houston.
During his three seasons at Houston, he gained 2,370 yards and had 29 touchdowns on the ground and caught 158 passes for 1,707 and eight scores.
“He's as good a receiver out of the backfield as any running back in this draft,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said.
Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Confident rookie quarterback Manziel erratic early with Browns
- NFL notebook: Cardinals CB Peterson lands new $70M deal
- NFL notebook: Browns’ Pinkston still not at camp
- NFL notebook: Suspended Jaguars WR Blackmon arrested for pot
- Ravens’ Rice must sit 1st 2 games
- Well-traveled Clemons trying to find home with Carolina Panthers
- NFL notebook: Colts RB Ballard suffers another season-ending injury
- NFL notebook: Browns receiver Josh Gordon hires lawyer to help with hearing