Share This Page
NFL

NFL notebook: Former Central Catholic, Pitt great Marino withdraws from concussion lawsuit

| Tuesday, June 3, 2014, 7:54 p.m.
Getty Images
Former Miami Dolphin Dan Marino on the sidelines Aug. 24, 2006, in Charlotte, North Carolina.

MIAMI — Dan Marino said he inadvertently became a plaintiff in a concussion lawsuit against the NFL and will withdraw immediately.

The Hall of Fame quarterback who starred at Central Catholic and Pitt said he doesn't suffer any effects from head injuries.

“Within the last year, I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf, just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from the effects of head trauma,” Marino said in a statement Tuesday. “I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff. ... I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit, and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff.”

Marino's withdrawal costs the litigants a high-profile plaintiff. He was by far the best-known of 15 former players who filed a lawsuit in federal court last week in Philadelphia.

They joined more than 4,800 others who allege the NFL misled players about the long-term dangers of concussions. The league has denied those allegations.

Marino, 52, worked as an analyst for CBS from 2002-13 but wasn't retained for this season. He has had discussions with the Dolphins about a role in their front office, and a lawsuit might have complicated such a hiring.

Packers WR prefers deal before season

Even though the Packers got a bargain the last time they signed Jordy Nelson to a contract extension, the veteran wide receiver said he would prefer to sign another deal before the season rather than playing out the final year of his contract.

Nelson, who caught 85 passes for 1,314 yards last season, both career bests, said he doesn't know if his agent, Vann McElroy, and the Packers have had any meaningful conversations about an extension.

In terms of annual average salary, Nelson ranks 34th on the wide receiver pay scale entering 2014.

Marrone backs Bills DT after latest charges

Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus will miss the next two weeks of voluntary practices to take time off from football in a bid to get his life and career on track after his latest off-field legal issue.

Coach Doug Marrone made the announcement after practice Tuesday, four days after Dareus crashed his Jaguar into a tree while allegedly racing another car not far from the Bills' stadium. Expressing disappointment in Dareus, Marrone said he is taking a more personal role in attempting to help a player who is dealing with what he called “personal issues.”

Around the league

The Bears signed kick returners/receivers Armanti Edwards and Micheal Spurlock and reached an injury settlement with receiver Domenik Hixon. They also waived linebacker Tana Patrick. ... Linebacker and special teams standout Blake Costanzo rejoined the 49ers, 2 ½ years after leaving the organization to play for the Bears. ... The Cardinals, in need of depth at inside linebacker, signed free agent Ernie Sims to a one-year contract. ... The Saints and Jonathan Goodwin agreed to a one-year contract to bring the center back to New Orleans. Goodwin spent the past three seasons with San Francisco.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.