NFL notebook: Top pick Clowney signs with Texans
• The Houston Texans signed No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney. The team didn't release any details on the contract. Clowney, a defensive end who will be converted to a linebacker in Houston's 3-4 defensive scheme, had 130 tackles, including 47 for losses and 24 sacks in three seasons at South Carolina. He also set a school record by forcing nine fumbles in his career.
• According to a report on NFL.com, the 49ers made an offer to coach Jim Harbaugh, but the coach hasn't responded. Per the report, the sticking point remains Harbaugh's desire to be rewarded financially like a Super Bowl coach, though he hasn't won one. He told reporters in March that “zero opportunity” exists for him to leave San Francisco before his contract runs out in 2016.
• More than a dozen cities are interested in hosting the NFL draft in 2015, and the league hopes to choose a site this summer. New York, Los Angeles and Chicago were invited this week to make presentations for next spring's draft. But the league stresses that no finalists have been selected and many other cities are in the running.
• The Browns released outside linebacker Quentin Groves, a special teams' captain with the club last year. He severely sprained an ankle in the second game and was limited to five games. He underwent offseason surgery.
• Richard Sherman will grace the cover of “Madden 15.” The Seahawks cornerback beat out 15 other players. The game, which is scheduled to be released Aug. 26.
• Michael Sam is confident he'll be judged on performance. The first openly gay player drafted in the NFL said there have been no issues fitting in with his St. Louis Rams teammates, no awkward moments in the locker room and that he was accepted right away.
— Staff and wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers
- Getting fired by Patriots led to Carroll’s reinvention
- NFL notebook: Packers coach McCarthy’s younger brother dies at 47
- NFL notebook: Seahawks warned 15-yard penalty for Lynch obscene gesture
- Patriots coach, QB say they don’t know how balls were deflated
- NFL notebook: Agent denies Ravens DT Cody injured dog
- NFL notebook: Patriots employee under scrutiny in underinflated footballs probe
- Healthy Gronkowski ready to roll in Super Bowl
- Starkey: Suspend ‘Beli-cheat,’ now or later
- NFL notebook: Source reports 11 of 12 game balls provided by Patriots under-inflated