NFL notebook: Kaepernick cleared of sexual assault charges
• A memo released by the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office said there was insufficient evidence that 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick committed any crime involving a woman at a downtown hotel on April 1. Tests indicated the woman was not sexually assaulted and other evidence backed up the players' contention that nothing happened.
• Browns coach Mike Pettine said quarterback Brian Hoyer is “securely ahead” of first-round draft pick Johnny Manziel as the team's starting quarterback. Pettine said Hoyer's experience with the team and give him an edge, but Manziel will get reps with the first team to ensure there is a true competition.
• The Falcons agreed to take part in HBO's ninth season of Hard Knocks, NFL.com reported.
• Jon Beason was carted away during the Giants' offseason practice session Thursday, Fox Sports reported. Coach Tom Coughlin revealed that Beason injured the bottom of his foot. The severity of the injury is uncertain. He signed a three-year, $19 million deal in March.
• The Seahawks agreed to a one-year deal with free agent defensive tackle Kevin Williams.
• The Buccaneers signed receiver Mike Evans, their 6-foot-5 first-round draft pick and third-round pick Charles Sims, a running back from West Virginia, as the team wrapped up the last day of its mandatory minicamp.
• The owner of Pabst Brewing Company, C. Dean Metropoulos, emerged as a potential bidder for the Bills, ESPN reported. Metropoulos unsuccessfully bid for the Jaguars.
• Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch is “very, very unlikely” to attend the team's mandatory minicamp next week because he wants a contract extension, ESPN.com reported.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Gifford had CTE, family says
- NFL notebook: Manning will miss at least 2 more weeks
- NFL notebook: Niners put QB Kaepernick on season-ending injured reserve
- NFL notebook: Rookie RB likely to get start vs. Steelers
- NFL notebook: Lawyers say concussion deal excludes central brain injury
- NFL notebook: Ravens QB Flacco out for season