NFL notebook: Texans' Clowney has sports hernia surgery
Jadeveon Clowney, the No. 1 overall pick in the draft by the Houston Texans, is recovering from sports hernia surgery.
Coach Bill O'Brien disclosed the procedure Friday and said Clowney had been struggling with a groin issue. O'Brien said the standout from South Carolina was sent to a specialist in Philadelphia.
“We decided the best thing for (Clowney) and the best thing for our team and the best thing for the organization was to have sports hernia surgery,” O'Brien said.
The surgery was performed Thursday. O'Brien expects Clowney to be ready for training camp, which begins in late July.
O'Brien wasn't sure exactly how long he's been dealing with this issue.
• The Chiefs released Brandon Flowers after three weeks of voluntary workouts in which the former starter was conspicuously absent. Flowers was due to make $5.25 million this season, and he carried a salary cap number of $10.5 million that made him difficult to keep. Already bumping up against the salary cap, the Chiefs will save about $7.25 million this season and $7.5 million next season.
• The Lions cut cornerback Chris Houston one year into his $25 million, five-year contract. Houston, who had foot surgery, was limited to 12 games last season because of toe and foot injuries. Houston had not attended offseason workouts so far this year under new coach Jim Caldwell.
• The Lions signed first-round pick Eric Ebron to a four-year contract. The North Carolina tight end was selected No. 10 overall.
• Giants linebacker Jon Beason broke a bone in his right foot and is expected to miss most of training camp. The team announced that he also tore a ligament during Thursday's offseason training activity workout. He had X-rays, an MRI and a CT scan to determine the extent of the injury.
• The Colts put safety Corey Lynch on injured reserve with an undisclosed injury. Lynch played in five regular season games and both playoff games last season, primarily on special teams, after signing with Indianapolis on Nov. 27. He had six special teams tackles for the Colts.
• The Vikings signed wide receiver Josh Cooper. To make room for Cooper on the roster, wide receiver Lestar Jean was waived.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- NFL notebook: Ex-player Gilbert releases platform for NFLPA bid
- Not to be left behind, speedy Steelers are on the fast track in NFL
- NFL upholds Browns WR Gordon’s 1-year ban
- NFL notebook: Browns considering 2 QB system with Hoyer, Manziel
- NFL notebook: QB Newton says ‘no doubt’ he’ll be ready for opener
- NFL increases penalties for domestic violence
- NFL notebook: Manning fined for taunting Texans safety
- Cardinals’ Fitzgerald feels best days aren’t behind him